Smallest fancy goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
What are the 3 smallest fancy goldfish?
Are there any they would be okay alone in a 10 gallon with heavy filtration?

I have been reading, I know the optimal set up. But, I always try to fit into what equipment I have first, and I currently have a 10. If there is absolutely no way to get a small fancy goldy into a 10, then I will consider purchasing a tank, or not getting a goldfish. I know it wouldn't be perfect, but I would like to hear from someone that could suggest a goldfish for a 10. Or, at least answer my question about the 3 smallest and let me research those. Thanks!

They all start out small :)
Here @ A.A. I don't think you'll find anyone who would recommend any goldfish breed for a 10gal long term. They're just to messy and their bioload is enormous.
I know you said you've done your research. "Just throwin that out there" To answer your question though imo any doubletail other than wakins stay smaller than singletails. Even bubble eyes and moors can reach 9-10" and have a girth the size of a softball.
And that my friend is one BIG poopin machine!

I would not suggest any goldfish (regardless of variety) for a 10G. Sorry.

I figured as much. I have been around this forum for a while.

I have a stand that fits a 10, and I have seen 18 gallon tanks with this same footprint. With the 18 tank I would get more water to diffuse poo and ammonia, but not much more water surface for oxygen. Would an 18 gallon tank be something I could use for a small goldfish?

I might try one in an 18G, but I'm not sure of that footprint (never seen one). I'd think it'd be fine with good filtration and maintenance.

An 18gal with the same footprint as a 10gal would be ok imo. I'd go with nothing smaller than the equivalent of an aquaclear 50 for filtration tho. Also an agressive pwc schedule would help.

That was going to be my next question. How big a filter would I need to use. I was thinking of a 40 gal rated filter. Isn't a filter that big going to cause a big current? Do the goldies with fluffy fins mind that? Water changes would be 50% each week unless the ammonia tested positive. Then I can throw in an extra one.

Well - a new tank is cheap if I already have a stand. I am pretty sure I can special order the 18 from my LFS.

How much do the fancy goldfish cost? I have seen that the smaller they are the less they cost. As little as $5. Is that true? Is there any reason the get a bigger one?

Then back to my original question: which one? There is differing information on the net but as far as I can tell, of the ones I actually like, the smaller ones seem to be the fantail, maybe the oranda, veiltail, possibly the lionchu, and maybe the ranchu. The max size numbers for some of these are a little all over the place, that is why I come here to find out what the truth is.

That was going to be my next question. How big a filter would I need to use. I was thinking of a 40 gal rated filter. Isn't a filter that big going to cause a big current? Do the goldies with fluffy fins mind that? Water changes would be 50% each week unless the ammonia tested positive. Then I can throw in an extra one.

Well - a new tank is cheap if I already have a stand. I am pretty sure I can special order the 18 from my LFS.

How much do the fancy goldfish cost? I have seen that the smaller they are the less they cost. As little as $5. Is that true? Is there any reason the get a bigger one?

A filter rated for a 40 gallon tank would be, in my view, appropriate for an 18 gallon tank with a single fancy goldfish -- for goldfish, it's generally recommended to have 2x filtration, so you'd be covered.

I have a couple of small (2 inches or less) fancy goldfish in my 48 gallon, with a 220 gallon per hour canister filter (which I'll upgrade or add to as the fish get bigger). The fish don't seem to have any trouble with that current -- which will be more than what a normal 40 gallon filter would produce. That said, swimming abilities vary widely among different types of fancy goldfish. Bubble eyed goldfish, for example, are among the poorer swimming fancy goldfish while the fantails are probably the strongest swimmers among the fancy goldfish. Either way, they shouldn't have too much of a problem, especially when they get larger. When they are smaller (and their bioload is smaller), you can try partially blocking the intake to reduce flow and current if they seem to get pushed around too much -- and remove the partial blocking when they get bigger, are better able to cope with the current, and need the added filtration/aeration. Again, though, I don't think it'll be too much of an issue.

Yes, I've seen (and purchased) small fancy goldfish for $5 (and less), though it does depend on which variety of fancy. The only real reason to get a bigger one, in my view, is if you simply want a bigger fish. I enjoy watching my fish grow over time, so I personally opt for smaller ones, but the choice is completely yours.

Good luck!

The deciding factors in goldfish adult sizes are:
Genetics
Water quality
diet
Amount of space provided
This is why there are so many varying answers to the question.
Most filters rated @ 40-50gal should do the trick. If your lookin for a h.o.b. then I'd recommend the aquaclear50. The current created by a larger filter can effect a fancies swimming and overall health because of the stress involved. You will have to somehow redirect the outflow into an object or inside face of the aquarium.
My personal favorite fancies are ryunkins and black moors. I think since you have a smallish tank that purchasing a younger fancy would be the way to go. This way it can grow into its environment rather than acquiring a larger one that may feel cramped in comparison to what it's used to.
Hope all this helps! Goodluck and keep me updated.:)

Don't block the intake of the filter. This will defeat the purpose of having the larger filtration. Block the outflow instead.

Don't block the intake of the filter. This will defeat the purpose of having the larger filtration. Block the outflow instead.

I'm still learning, but how would that make a difference?

Either way, flow is reduced and biological filtration is reduced -- by an equal measure either way, I would think.

I am, however, more than happy to be proven wrong and learn. :)

Fantails, orandas, veils all grow quite large. Ranchus/lionchus do not have the lengthy finnage of some other breeds but they still have the potential to grow quite big. Pearlscales do not grow 'quite' as large as some other breeds but will have a very large baseball-size (or larger) girth. They are quite a bit more difficult to keep than alot of other breeds & have a plethora of potential health issues. Realistically, there really are no 'small' goldfish breeds., I am afraid to say.

If you block the intake there is less water being filtered thru. If you make an obstacle to break up the current its not hindering the flow thru the filter.

honestly man ranchus lionhead etc all CAN get to about 8"-12" the problem is they are also very deep. do yourself and your fish a favor and just spend the money on a proper size and supporting equipment. check the classifieds in your aria i just got offered a 7X 2.5X 2.5 that is reef ready for 50 dollers. and i would have taken it if my house could support that weight, good deals are out there.

What kind is that?

New mortgage means hardly any disposable income for fish for a while. Was really hoping I could get one of these guys in a small tank. If I can't, I wait. Based on previous posts the 18 wouldn't be too bad. I'd just have to get the tank, substrate and filter...and, oh yeah, the fish, too. Even those things are more than I should be spending at the moment, but maybe I can put it all on my birthday list.

I just need to get my plan and budget together.

Back
Top Bottom