smells fishy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kathleen55

Aquarium Advice Freak
my room smells fishy now because of the fish tank in my bedroom. their tank is clean and all the food for them is in a container. i leave my window open is there anything i can do to get the smell out of my room? thanks

kathleen55 said:
my room smells fishy now because of the fish tank in my bedroom. their tank is clean and all the food for them is in a container. i leave my window open is there anything i can do to get the smell out of my room? thanks

Carbon filtration is a good way to remove odor. It's not something most of us use all the time, and if you have carbon cartridges you don't want to replace them monthly like the manufacturers recommend, but it's going to be your best bet at taking out the smell.

test your water for amonia it can sometimes give off an odor, if there is high levels in the water :fish2:

Dirty water will smell like fish. None of my tanks smell, none of them have carbon in them. I do weekly 50% pwc's. I really think that frequent water changes are the cure all for almost everything, including smells.

Dirty water will smell like fish. None of my tanks smell, none of them have carbon in them. I do weekly 50% pwc's. I really think that frequent water changes are the cure all for almost everything, including smells.
50 percent pwc? i normally only do 10...

mfdrookie516 said:

+1 My tanks don't of anything, because I keep up on my water changes.

Agreed. Occam's razor. I skipped over the simplest explanation and jumped to carbon. Good catch rookie.

I do 25% a week (sometimes more often) and have never had odor...other than when the bottle of Prime is open, lol.

How large is your tank ... and what kind of filter do you have? Certainly dirty water ... even if it looks clear will smell. Your filter could be inadequate for your size tank. I've been in places where large tanks with inadequate filtration has that fish smell ... the filter simply can not keep up.

As other members have said (mfdrookie516) ... your water should not smell of fish at all, with or without carbon so 25% - 50% PWC's is important in combating the smell.

I never had this problem, until I took out the water one day and the gravel absolutely stunk, there was brown water underneath. I have 3 silk plants, and one of them smells so bad as well.

i have a 10g with a aqueon filter and heater. i will start doing a 25 water change. and if that doesnt help ill do a 40 and so on. thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom