snail infestation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themagpie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, its been a good 2 or 3 months since I've had my tank up and running. The water parameters have been constant and ideal. After I introduced live plants when starting my tank I had a problem with numerous snails appearing several times a day. I removed them all by hand and thought that was the end of things. However, about two weeks ago the problem started up again. I've removed probably 60 (maybe even more) in the last week and a half. This is driving me insane! Is there a good way to ensure the snails won't re-appear. Are there any fish safe chemicals that could help kill them off?

TIA
-themagpie

If you have room, get some loaches! The are fun to watch, beautiful, and most DEVOUR snails! Its astonishing how fast they can get a snail population under control.

I have two "Botia Salwnsis" (Burmese Border, I think) loaches in my 38-gallon FW tank, and they are PERFECT. I adore them.

it was reccomended to remove them and offer them on craigslist and freecycle. i offered mine up on freecycle and they emails came pouring in

for larger tanks, clown loaches are great! I have kept them in my 55 for a few months now, and I never see snails...however, if you have a smaller tank, i have heard that yoyo's are great. I have yet to own any though.

clown laoches wil leat the boogers right up for ya but not bother any of your existing snail ( if you have any )

ha you think 60 snails is a bad infestation, i had seriously had a thousand in a tank i used to raise tadpoles in

Back
Top Bottom