snail question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jehenry89

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my snail shells is looking kind of brittle and I am assuming it is calcium deficiency. I know you can use cuttlebone. What exactly is it and how do I use it?

One of my snail shells is looking kind of brittle and I am assuming it is calcium deficiency. I know you can use cuttlebone. What exactly is it and how do I use it?

You buy it at the pet store, it will be in the bird section. I just break a piece of and drop it in my tank. It will float for a while until it sinks. Hope this helps :)

I know these are dumb questions lol but do they eat it or does it just dissolve into the water? Just got my first few snails a few weeks ago.

I know these are dumb questions lol but do they eat it or does it just dissolve into the water? Just got my first few snails a few weeks ago.

It dissolves but some snails will also nibble on it. And it's not a dumb question if we don't ask we don't find out! What kind of snail's do you have? I keep apples, tylos, nerites, colombian and lava yep I like snail's lol

I have 2 gold mystery snails and 2 blue mystery snails. I have been feeding them summer squash which they absolutely love but I am going to take a few leafs of spinach from work and see if they will eat that since it is more calcium rich.

I have 2 gold mystery snails and 2 blue mystery snails. I have been feeding them summer squash which they absolutely love but I am going to take a few leafs of spinach from work and see if they will eat that since it is more calcium rich.

I've never tried squash I'll have to give it a go. Mine like cucumber, spinach and kale they also like Hikari crab cuisine which I feed to my shrimp it's suppose to be high in calcium.

I got my snails zucchini. They seem to be holding up pretty well. I'll throw in an algae wafer every couple of days. I'm probably going to be a cuttlebone as well for them here soon.

Mine love tums! Lol of course they get veggies and algae wafers too. I keep apples, mysteries, MTS, ramshorns and bladder. Yes, i like snails too:)

I thought I would add that you can use human calcium supplements (vitamin D added is okay), egg shells, antacid tablets like Tums (mine love the fruit flavored ones), and there are many recipes on applesnail.net using Plaster of Paris to make calcium blocks, as well as, food recipes. Mine eat fish food, algae and plant wafers, dandelion leaves, mixed salad greens, and cabbage. I haven't tried the zucchini or cucumber yet. I have mystery snails, Malaysian Trumpet snails, and ramshorn snails. I just added a new ivory mystery snail to my wild and dark purple ones.

Back
Top Bottom