Snail trouble?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foxyhasswag

Aquarium Advice Freak
Asmorning I noticed a snail gliding across the glass he looks to be the only one in the tank but I have some questions on him
Is it bad to leave in tank?
Will my fish eat him he's about half a inch?
Will he multiply if he's still only one?
I bourght some live plants let week is that how he got here?
My fish are Molly's ,swords,corys,garras,and a angelfish and one ram

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Probably did come in on the plants. Snails have the ability to start at 1 and then a couple of cute ones, then roughly a thousand spring up :) Maybe I should be more of a fan of them...

Anyways they are not always bad to leave in the tank as long as you don't over-feed. Loaches I know will eat snails, not sure on other fish.

If it's only one, it won't asexually reproduce. And you may get lucky like me when I ended up with a single rams horn snail. Doesn't cause any problems at all.

Now if you've got 2, then it becomes a crap shoot. Some (not all) snails are hermaphroditic. So you could end up with more. The snails I hate are the small, common pond snails. You can end up with a jillion of them. If you didn't treat your plants before putting them in the tank, I'd keep a close eye out for more.

The common approaches for aquarium plants is to dip them in bleach, alum, or potassium permanganate before adding them to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom