Snails ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
samt1 said:
I tried the lettuce trick last night to get rid of some of my snails but I didn't have a single one on there this morning! :(
Any tips to make it work better?

What is the lettuce trick

What is the lettuce trick

Put some lettuce in the tank over night (lights off) and snails should be on it come the morning so you can get them out of the tank, that's what I read on here, I have tried it twice but no luck so far.

There are snail control chem's, but I couldn't recommend as they only seem to knock the snails out for a while, then you have to collect them up. My problem with a chemical that does this is it's in the water your fish are swimming in, surely it can't be too good for them if it knock's out snails, sort of an underwater chloroform !
Slug traps (outdoor) work by drowning slugs in beer ('cause they like beer, who discovered that ??), and snails are just slugs with a portable home on their backs. I don't imagine pumping a couple of gallons of budweiser into the tank would do any good though !
Back to normality... lettuce or cucumber should work okay, I have seen it done with a piece of lettuce tied to a length of cotton thread for easy extraction, works a treat if your snails are not carnivores !

@samt1: I have another thread where I posted about finding snails and the lettuce method was also recommended, but in the suggestions I got they said the lettuce had to be blanched. (Boil water, turn heat off, dunk lettuce 3 mins)

@samt1: I have another thread where I posted about finding snails and the lettuce method was also recommended, but in the suggestions I got they said the lettuce had to be blanched. (Boil water, turn heat off, dunk lettuce 3 mins)

Oh right great thanks for letting me know, I will try that out!
The guy at the sop also told me to try a piece of Apple?

Back
Top Bottom