Snails mating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosenweiss

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello! We have two apple/mystery snails, and I saw them right next to each other today. They were on the glass touching, and I thought I saw their bodies overlap; it kind of looked like part of one of them was sticking into the other one. But when I looked up snails mating, it looked like they actually got on top of each other.

Could my snails have been mating?

Rosenweiss said:
Hello! We have two apple/mystery snails, and I saw them right next to each other today. They were on the glass touching, and I thought I saw their bodies overlap; it kind of looked like part of one of them was sticking into the other one. But when I looked up snails mating, it looked like they actually got on top of each other.

Could my snails have been mating?

I've seen that happen to with my 2 mystery snails. I think they are trying to mate. But aren't they sterile?

Haha, I don't think so... We had a baby snail just a little while ago. XD But one of my two snails was a lot smaller then, so I don't know if the large one had carried her fertilized eggs for a while since I got it from the LFS (I heard they can do that up to a month).

But it's also possible that that baby snail came from an egg attached to a live plant that we bought. So I wonder...

Rosenweiss said:
Haha, I don't think so... We had a baby snail just a little while ago. XD But one of my two snails was a lot smaller then, so I don't know if the large one had carried her fertilized eggs for a while since I got it from the LFS (I heard they can do that up to a month).

But it's also possible that that baby snail came from an egg attached to a live plant that we bought. So I wonder...

You probably got it from plants. I bought a snail(brown/golden(?) mystery snail) and I saw it lay a lot of eggs above the water surface. I got rid of it and returned the snail. They said the eggs won't hatch but I didn't want to take chances.

I don't mind if they mate. I cleaned up some eggs at the surface a few weeks ago, too, though. I wonder if they are truly mystery snails though...? One has a slightly gray body and one's is yellow but their shells are a pretty mixture of purple and red.

Also, one of the tanks at the LFS had a TON of baby snails in it, so I know that at least one of the kinds they sell are not sterile. We have not had an infestation or anything, though, despite a LOT of growth. So I'm guessing that you could be right about the other snail being from the plants.

Back
Top Bottom