Some nitrate batceria questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Polar_Bus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in the process of cleaning a 90 gallon "lack of maintenence" aquarium. This tank is SO SKANKED!! Everything I dissasemble to clean has a HUGE amount of thick brown sludge adheared to it. Is this sludge the nitrate bacteria that breaks down ammonia? My last question is I have a 5 gallon pail about 1/2 full with gravel and sand and water. Should I use this gravel in my new setup, or is this not a good idea? Thanks,
Rich

No, that sludge is just what it is...sludge. There may be a lot of bacterial colonies living in it but it is useless in terms of trying to save it.

Where did this gravel come from?

Jchillin said:
No, that sludge is just what it is...sludge. There may be a lot of bacterial colonies living in it but it is useless in terms of trying to save it.

Where did this gravel come from?

The gravel is a small amount left over that was actually in use in the tank. I threw most of the gravel out, as I had no place to store it while I moved the tank. Ever try to lift a 90G tank with 2" of gravel in the bottom????!!!! Screw that, I would have ended up in the ER.

Back
Top Bottom