South American Tank Addition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm giving up on my discus. I just can't give them the care and devote the time to them that they need. Without the discus, i'll have a 110gal planted tank with rummy nose, Madagascar rainbows, and apistogramma borellis. I want another large fish to be the centerpiece, BESIDES angelfish! Any suggestions? I was thinking a pair of jack dempseys but I don't know much about them.

Dempseys aren't what yer lookin' for. Too aggressive for the fish ya have in there, in fact the rummy noses will get nommed up purty quick once the JD gets some size. The borellis may or may not get bullied, I've seen JDs that tolerated smaller fish that didn't fit in their mouth and others that didn't. Some JDs will move gravel 'round a bit, so yer planted tank may or may not stay planted.

I take it yer lookin' for a centerpiece fish. Keyhole cichlids, cupid cichlids or rainbow cichlids would be yer best bets in my opinion. All will tolerate smaller tankmates, are not especially aggressive and won't be excavatin' to a point that yer plants are uprooted. All get in the 4"-6" range.

WYite

I'd say nearly anything in the cryptoheros genus, such as :

Nanoleteus
Sajica
Cutteri
Septemfasciatus
Panamensis
Chetumalensis

I'm currently keeping all these in my fishroom, they have amazing color, parenting skills, personality, and tolerate tankmates very well even with fry. They are from Central American but would fit the bill perfectly.

If your wanting to stick to South American then:

Acarichthys Geayi
Aequidens patricki or pulcher
Krobia xinguensis
Austroloheros sp. 'Oblongum' ...one of my all time favorites!

Would all make great additions to a community tank, I could rattle off a few hundred more if your like?

Last edited:
Austroloheros sp. 'Oblongum' looks great! I'll have to see if my LFS can order them in.

Back
Top Bottom