Spawning behavior? (mouth brooders)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rokuzachi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm having a hard time finding info on my C. guentheri, let alone their spawning behavior. I've never had mouthbrooders of any kind before, but this is what the smaller one is doing;

Dug several large pits. They're so deep they almost go to the glass (about 3" deep). The fish then sits down it in. Its colors are really intense right now, even the drab silver-white and dark bars on the body are well pronounced.

I've witnessed the fish dig these pits. It'll sit on the bottom, usually in a corner, or near a rock, or rooted plant, and "shiver" back and forth really fast, with its pectoral fins going very fast as well, and proceed to fling sand out to the sides to dig the pit.

Only the smaller of the two is doing this, the bigger, less colorful one couldn't care less about it. In the species, the colorful one is typically female, but there's a lot of variance based on the region the fish is from, and despite being more colorful, and smaller, the fish lacks the trademark rosy belly of the females. Seems like it might not work out too well for the lil' guy if I've got two males...

I feel so lost :lol:

Back
Top Bottom