Spider for breakfast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christerrell2k3

Aquarium Advice Regular
On my daily ritual of waking up at 5:30a to get ready for work, i noticed my dempsey flaring up and blue Zebras following suite. Not being aware and somewhat still drunk, i shoved it off as their daily rituals of saying goodmorning. On further inspection i noticed a spider skimming on top of the water making a bunch of noise, it must of been about 1'' or so. So the dempsey goes in closer and toys with it, while the zebras start to pick off the legs oh so slowly. In one bite, the dempsey took it all... damn dempseys... had the last 2 legs out of his mouth until it was finally ripped out by the blue gender.. Sorry i just had to tell someone the story...

Question you ask, is it ok if he ate a spider?, rather hairy and nasty looking might i add.

Yuck, I bet it is just fine for the fish though. I would image that a large amount of spiders end up in freshwater, in nature. And they would all get gobbled up.

Was it a wolf spider? Flat, hairy, fast?

bleagh! :D

I would think it would add some nice protein in the diet. The only possible downside I can see is if the spider had some pestasides on it or something.

so far so good, his belly is looking a bit large, thats just cause he eat 2 feeder fish also, but looks fine to me... i cant wait to get them out of the 29 and into the 45gallon breeder... there gonna be so happy..

The dempsey has eaten so far : 4 crawdads or crayfish - cant remember that costed a $1 or something at petco, a pleco, one of those spotted barbed catfish, couple rather large goldfish, and has destroyed 1 heater.. but nothing ever like a damned spider.

Glad to hear about the spider........I hate spiders! :twisted: I feed my fish bugs as often as I can. I have a tank net instead of a fly swatter. :D

Heh, sounds like a bit of excitement in the tank this morn. Long as pesticides aren't involved, live bugs are cool. This summer we'd catch the occasional fly that got into the apt and drop it into the big tank; the angelfish went wonky over em!

uuugh! 8O my other half insists on swatting flies with our fishnet when one wanders in & then feeds them to our fish! yuk

Back
Top Bottom