Sponge filters are a great!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Overstocker

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a prefilter sponge for my HOB and didn't like how it reduced the flow so I converted it to stand alone sponge filter. I just put in an airstone, added a riser and put it in the opposite corner of my tank to help in circulation.
Well when I do my weekly gravel/water changes there is very little to vac and the sponge is nine kinds of filthy and helps maintain my water crystal clear.

A complete sponge filter comes in a kit for about 10 dollars.

I had the sponge as a prefilter kit (same manufacterer) and added 3/4" UGF tube.

By air, but could be powerhead I suppose. I had a bubble curtain going and pulled it off, stuck an air stone on the tube and rigged it with the sponge. Helps keep the tank clean and provides oxygen.
Based on the crud that comes out of the sponge when I clean it, I think it is doing a good job and probably helps with the good bacteria stuff..... :)

I am looking at a stand alone type of filter to polish a little until a diatom is in my range. Plus the squeezings can feed my daughter's betta fry.
I needd something in my slightly overstocked tank. Now that the fish are growing again and the sun hits the tank it is cloud city..but no Lando!

Back
Top Bottom