Sponge Prefilter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A sponge prefilter provides many of the same benefits of a sponge filter (more fry safe, provides food source for fry, decreased flow, etc) but with a prefilter the primary housing for the beneficial bacteria is still in the filter, while with a sponge filter it is the sponge.

I throw a sponge from a rena internal power filter onto my fluval 404 inlet. This hepls to prevent larger debris from fouling the inside of the canister. It can be cleaned at any stage without worrying about killing the biofilter, meaning it can get a good rinse. This helps reduce messy maintenence.

I have a question on this to I use pantyhose on my filter intakes my enhiem 2217 is fine but I had to take it off of the magnum 350 It reduced the flow to much and made my filter work to hard and was making a lot of racket when I took it off it was fine. But I keep getting java moss in my filter now.
Well back to my question is there anything I can do for it besides getting a better filters these came with my tank.

Back
Top Bottom