Sterilizing this driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bradleyheathhays

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've used this wood before in a previous freshwater setup, but it's been outside (not on the ground) being rained on and in damp conditions for a while now and I need to sterilize it before putting the pieces back in the tank again.

These pieces are too big to get into a pot to boil so I was wondering if I could sterilize them by heating in the oven. I don't use the oven much so it wouldn't be a problem leaving them in for an extended period of time if that's what it takes.

Thanks for the advice

You can bake driftwood at 200c for a couple of hours. Keep an eye on it to avoid it charring. Wont help with getting it to sink same as boiling would.

100 degrees Celcius will kill anything on it if you want to cook it. Personally I would just hose it off and pop it in a tank. If you are really concerned, put it in a bucket of tap water and add a heap of salt (sodium chloride). Leave it to soak for a few days, then rinse it off with fresh water and soak in a container of tap water for a few more days. Then add to tank.

Unless you use chemicals in your yard (around the wood), there's unlikely to be much on it. Maybe a few slaters or things crawling around in it.

How big is the driftwood?

Know anyone with one of those propane powered giant turkey fryers? ? I would be hitting up my family to use one of those.

Back
Top Bottom