Stocking advice for 12 gallon Fluval Edge Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jsood

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 12 gallon Fluval Edge aquarium with the following fish.

5 Cardinals
1 Powder blue dwarf gourami
4 Cherry barbs
1 German Blue Ram

Is this setup okay? The cardinals and gourami have been mine for a long while and are not going anywhere. The ram and barbs are very new and can be changed if necessary. All stocking suggestions are welcome.

I like celeatial pearl danios but fear they will be a snack for the gourami who is our centrepiece fish.

Ram and Gourami are out, far too small a tank.

The barbs and the cardinals on their own have you fully stocked.

I have a 12 gallon Fluval Edge aquarium with the following fish.

5 Cardinals
1 Powder blue dwarf gourami
4 Cherry barbs
1 German Blue Ram

Is this setup okay? The cardinals and gourami have been mine for a long while and are not going anywhere. The ram and barbs are very new and can be changed if necessary. All stocking suggestions are welcome.

I like celeatial pearl danios but fear they will be a snack for the gourami who is our centrepiece fish.

Welcome to AA! I think the german blue ram needs to be moved. And then probably the gourami :)

I would say you've definitely hit the limit of stocking your tank. I disagree with the above posts in that the dwarf gourami needs to go. 10 gallons is the minimum recommended size tank for Dwarf Gouramis. Bigger is always better, but just make sure you keep up with water changes, and I think you'll be fine. Cardinal Tetras and Cherry Barbs are small in size and bio-load is going to be relatively light. So, I think you'll be fine.
The Ram ideally needs a larger tank. I think 20 gallons is the minimum recommended size for Rams.

Dwarf gourami need minimum 15 Gallons. Cardinal tetras need at least 20 gallons. Yes they are small but are very active. Really you should only have the cherry barbs in there. Sorry to say but you have poorly stocked your tank.

According to Petsmart the minimum is 10 gallons, not that they are fish experts. It's incredibly frustrating that there are so many different recommended tank sizes available for aquarist.

So I've returned the German ram and the cherry barbs as they were new.

I've added 3 colourful guppies instead. How is this new setup?

5 cardinal tetras
1 dwarf gourami
3 guppies

Should I add in 2 Cory's for cleanup duty?

Thanks!

So I've returned the German ram and the cherry barbs as they were new.

I've added 3 colourful guppies instead. How is this new setup?

5 cardinal tetras
1 dwarf gourami
3 guppies

Should I add in 2 Cory's for cleanup duty?

Thanks!

No, you are fully stocked with the dg and guppies. The cardinals need to be returned. A nerite snail or a few amano shrimp would be for cleaning duty.

I agree with everything but the fact that you are fully stocked with guppies and gourami. I'd say clean up add Pygmy corys(only kin that will work) or shrimp

I feel that 3 Guppies, 5 Cardinal Tetras, and 1 Dwarf Gourami is a good setup. I'm sorry, but I just don't see the need for a minimum 20 gallon tank for Cardinals. I think if you want a bottom cleaner, I'd go with shrimp first and see if they do an adequate job for you. I think you've got a good setup.

Cardinal Tetras need a 20 gallon tank for two reasons.

1. Yes, they are indeed small, but are very active, and need the swimming space that a 20 gallon offers.

2. Cardinal Tetras are very sensitive fish, and water quality has to be 200% clean. The twenty gallon tank size offers more water space, so if there are any errors in water quality, they won't happen fast, and you can discover them in time, thus minimising your losses.

A 12G Edge is a beautiful tank. I would love to have one!

One problem is it is more narrow than wide. A consideration of what to put in the tank for fish is also a consideration on how the fish or creature exist and their natural habits.

DG to me, seem to hang out a lot more so than swimming across the tank, so maybe it wouldn't be a big deal for them. Cardinals are schooling swimmers which swim horizontally and they tend to get a couple inches long. So although they are beautiful, they would not be the best choice for the 12G Edge. They would be better in a 36G with the Ram and Gourami, really a nice combination (if you eventually want to upgrade I like the bowfront and the 46G is 36" wide, big but doesn't take up too much room (y)) You could also do a few more fish with them!!!

Guppies are high polluters of the water. Just so you would be aware of what you are getting yourself into and how fast a smaller tank's water quality can come crashing down on you, there is much greater chance of fish death and illness with the smaller tank just in missing one or two pwc!

The CPD like to dart around but they may be a better choice for you. 6 CPD as they like being in a group. They like plants and driftwood, a natural habitat type tank, though I would make some tall grass like plants in a couple places and set it up so they can still swim all around maybe like a figure 8 so they have the most swimming area available with still having the seclusion with some taller plants.

You could also consider a bunch of dwarf Cherry Red Shrimp (CRS) with them. Although they will eat some of the baby shrimp, if you have a large enough bunch they should keep up the population with lots of plants and some Cholla wood and moss maybe a good idea. A couple of Ramshorn snails or a nerite.

You want to be able to enjoy your fish and you will enjoy them most when they are happy too and in the best conditions they will be the most colorful and healthy. Good for everyone and the fish!

1. Yes, they are indeed small, but are very active, and need the swimming space that a 20 gallon offers.

2. Cardinal Tetras are very sensitive fish, and water quality has to be 200% clean. The twenty gallon tank size offers more water space, so if there are any errors in water quality, they won't happen fast, and you can discover them in time, thus minimising your losses.

+1 to all your posts :)

Can you do two tanks? It seems you like fish which would be good in two different tanks.

I have been mad more than once regarding my 6.6 Edge and not being able to put almost any kind of fish in it, though it is SOOOOO beautiful!

Another option are micro rasboras like Borasras Brigittae Rasbora Chilis You could have 8-10, they are tiny tiny, and 4 dwarf Cories and RCS and a Couple Ramshorns. imho

Scottyhorse said:

Cant say i agree. I had some glowlight tetras which are very similar to cardinal tetras. They were the strongest fish i have ever owned. Didnt matter wht the water quality was like, they lived through it all. As for swimming space... I think you could put a school of 5 or so in a 15 gallon

Cant say i agree. I had some glowlight tetras which are very similar to cardinal tetras. They were the strongest fish i have ever owned. Didnt matter wht the water quality was like, they lived through it all. As for swimming space... I think you could put a school of 5 or so in a 15 gallon

Glowlights are very tough fish and also slightly smaller than a matured Cardinal. Cardinals are similar looking they are more sensitive and like a mature stable tank. Some of the problems are from being wild caught. being exposed to pathogens and so much traveling/stresses and things of that nature. They seem to be more delicate at the beginning but once established into the tank seem to do well. And like medium to heavily planted tanks and large schools.

Autumnsky said:
Glowlights are very tough fish and also slightly smaller than a matured Cardinal. Cardinals are similar looking they are more sensitive and like a mature stable tank. Some of the problems are from being wild caught. being exposed to pathogens and so much traveling/stresses and things of that nature. They seem to be more delicate at the beginning but once established into the tank seem to do well. And like medium to heavily planted tanks and large schools.

Never in my life have i heard that cardinal tetras are very delicate... I still dont agree. Sure some tetras are a but weaker like rummynose tetras, but because glowlights and cardinals are so closely related i dont see much of a difference except that one is orange and the other is red and blue. And in my opinion, every fish needs a stable tank

Back
Top Bottom