Stocking help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I have a 26 bowfront that was going to be a african leaf fish build however I cant seem to get any of them so I am considering other options.
Current Stock:
2x Bumble Bee Catfish
1x Banjo Catfish
6x Buenos Aires Tetras

Possible Stocking List:
2x Bumblee Bee Cats
1x Banjo Cats
6x Clebes Rainbowfish
2x German Blue Ram
6x Red minor or black skirt tetras

Would that leave everybody enough swimming space? And is there anything that may be cooler for this tank?
Thanks and God bless!

In my opinion that would be way too many fish for a 29g. Buenos Aires Tetras tend to be fin nippers so I don't think celebes would be a good idea. I'd say you could add the black skirts and call it quits. You could also do Lemon tetra's instead of black skirts as a school could also hold their own. Possibly a dwarf gourami but again the BA tetras might harass it too much, it's a 50/50 chance.

Could you please remind me what sort of bumble bee cats you have? There are a couple of species called that, but if you could give me the latin name that would clear things up in my head. I know you told me in the past, but I can't remember.

Scientific or Latin names might be hard to pronounce but they're more helpful.

I believe it is this one: Microglanis iheringi. It is a south american bumble bee catfish. I would actually almost rather get rid of the beunos aires tetras. I like the red minors, black skirts and rainbows better. I would also like to have the dwarf praex rainbow and the celebes rainbow. Could any stocking work with that?
I will not get rid of the bumble bee cats though :)

No worries. Those are the more community-friendly of the bumble bee cats. Those guys are fine for this set-up IMO. :)
Red minors can be a bit nippy IME. If you get them, just keep an eye on tankmates for signs of nips. If you wanted to consider a different tetra, bentosi tetras, bleeding heart tetras, and diamond tetras have the same shape but with less nippiness. Personally, I would not put red minors in with gbr in one of my own tanks, but some people have better experiences with the red minors than I did.
Skirt tetras can be nippy, but mine never had an issue with my rams, so I think they would be a better choice. I am a fan of the white skirt tetras. The long fins of the rainbows might make an appealing target, but I think it is worth trying and would likely be ok.
I would start with just the catfish, gbr and 2 schools (1 tetra school and 1 rainbow school). That will probably be pretty good for this tank. Skirt tetras can get decently large. I would also add another couple of banjo cats if possible. They will cruise around together in groups at night, and it is fun to watch. They are not a high bioload catfish anyways, so a few more wouldn't stress your bioload capacity.

No worries. Those are the more community-friendly of the bumble bee cats. Those guys are fine for this set-up IMO. :)
Red minors can be a bit nippy IME. If you get them, just keep an eye on tankmates for signs of nips. If you wanted to consider a different tetra, bentosi tetras, bleeding heart tetras, and diamond tetras have the same shape but with less nippiness. Personally, I would not put red minors in with gbr in one of my own tanks, but some people have better experiences with the red minors than I did.
Skirt tetras can be nippy, but mine never had an issue with my rams, so I think they would be a better choice. I am a fan of the white skirt tetras. The long fins of the rainbows might make an appealing target, but I think it is worth trying and would likely be ok.
I would start with just the catfish, gbr and 2 schools (1 tetra school and 1 rainbow school). That will probably be pretty good for this tank. Skirt tetras can get decently large. I would also add another couple of banjo cats if possible. They will cruise around together in groups at night, and it is fun to watch. They are not a high bioload catfish anyways, so a few more wouldn't stress your bioload capacity.
ok thanks! I can try the skirt tetras. I like em anyway :)
I have 2 concerns. Swimming space for the GBRs and tetras and swimming space for the catfish. You think Im ok in a 26 bowfront?

Back
Top Bottom