Stubborn mom with a betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miyavp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my mom has a betta in a one gal bowl with no filter bubbler heater or anything. I keep telling her thats not good for him and she absolutley refuzes to let me get her a filter or a heater because it has to be plugged in...... I've heard of rocks you can buy that grow nitrifying bacteria in them. Would those work? I just feel bad for this fish. I have two fish tanks of my own and my fish are spoiled rotten and it feels kinda wrong that her fish has to live like that. Any ideas? I offered to cycle a small tank for her and set it all up but she keeps telling me he doesnt need it....Gah.

What would she do if you just kind of showed up with a tank kit for her? I know my parents are in their 80's and they won't leave anything plugged in that doesn't have to be, especially if they leave the house. There isn't alot we can do except try to make them understand it's wrong and even cruel (play the poor betta card) for it to have to live like that. All you can do is keep trying and kudo's for you to try to help.

Idk I bought her a betta hammock and I put it in and now she uses it but it kind of suprized me that she didnt decide that he didnt like it....she does that alot. I might try that. But she always wants to clean his tank. Like wash it out and everything once every two weeks.

Have you tried gathering some information about betta care and tanks in general to try to educated her? I'm trying not to laugh because I've been through similar issues over the past years and they only keep getting worse as their memories slip. Maybe if she can understand about beneficial bacteria and how washing the bowl out isn't good and finding out he's a tropical fish that can get latharic or even sick if his water temp drops too low along with other info maybe you will have alittle more luck. IDK, it's worth a shot. I've had to print out information many times to get my mom especially to understand something. Figure it's worth a shot anyway.

Have you tried gathering some information about betta care and tanks in general to try to educated her? I'm trying not to laugh because I've been through similar issues over the past years and they only keep getting worse as their memories slip. Maybe if she can understand about beneficial bacteria and how washing the bowl out isn't good and finding out he's a tropical fish that can get latharic or even sick if his water temp drops too low along with other info maybe you will have alittle more luck. IDK, it's worth a shot. I've had to print out information many times to get my mom especially to understand something. Figure it's worth a shot anyway.

I've tried that with other issues we've had and it didnt seem to work then. And even tho I've told her I doubt she'd care much more than if I showed her. Idk I talked to my dad about it. Told him I might just buy her one and he didnt object. He didnt understand either but no objections. I need to find a small super easy to maintain tank with a filter and heater.

Got to love dads, mine is like that too! All you can do is try, at least your giving it your best effort!

Back
Top Bottom