substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agerv

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
what is the easiest way to switch from gravel to sand in a 29 gal fw tank?

Ive heard of people using a pillow case to rinse the sand, with a lot of success, otherwise it can be kinda difficult to get all the cloudiness out.

Wow that bottle method is pretty interesting. I think I would up the scale to a two liter bottle or something though because cleaning roughly thirty pounds of sand with a 16oz bottle would take forever haha

yea that would take forever, but a pound per gallon is the general method?

Yea right around there, some people prefer more or less. I have 60 lbs in my 55 gallon, mostly because it was sold in twenty pound increments, and sand can be really expensive >.< So if you don't mind the look of a little less you could save some money. Start with less and then if you don't like it you can always buy more. Got any colors in mind?

You can use PFS. It is very cheap. No need to buy the fancy aquarium stuff. I think you can find PFS for like $5-10 for a 50lb bag at Lowes, HD, or pool supply stores.

im new so i dont kno wat pfs sand is but i just want natural color to go with the theme of my tank

yea i know soo many acronyms haha but that sand is safe and stuff right?

great, thank you so much ill be getting some tommorow haha, but how should i get my gravel out of my tank before putting sand in? do i need to take my fish and plants out?

Back
Top Bottom