Suction Cups don't stick anymore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nategi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The suction cups for my heater and thermometer use to stick to the inside of my tank with no problem, but now they dont at all. I have no idea what to do since my tank needs a heater, does anyone have any ideas?

I've found that the only suction cups that I can get to work are the ones that Marineland sends with their heaters, and the ones Hagen (fluval) sends with their filters. All other heater and filter suction cups seem to lose their suction capability after a while. I've had the same suction cups for my fluvals since I got them almost 2 years ago, and they were used when I got them.

i have the same problem with my suction cups, i wish i could find other ways to keep the heater against the glass

Same here, sometimes the heaters come with 2 or 3 suction cups (depending of the size) What I did last time is that I used just one to fix the heater and keep the other one as a spare, because with the time they become useless.

just a thought, but how about a magnet glued on the heater and then another on the outside to hold it in place? I guess u could glue the magnets on the suction cups.

just a thought, but how about a magnet glued on the heater and then another on the outside to hold it in place? I guess u could glue the magnets on the suction cups.

thats a really good idea! but would the magnet affect the fish and affect the water quality?

Magnets also affect electrical currents I think, too?

I just always push them in when I am doing my cleaning. They usually hold until the next one.

Clean the glass with a razor blade and decent suction cups should stick. I only have luck with the black rubber suction cups.

Suction cups become bad overtime as they harden and no longer have the flexibility needed to produce the suction. If they are still flexible and don't stick, it's usually because there is a thin layer of film that is either on the glass or the suction cup, or both.

I ended up cleaning the glass real good with a credit card, so far so good, the suction cups haven't came off yet.

Will those fit anything you need them for?? Such as the intake/outtake of an Ehiem 2213?

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Aquarium

it looks like it comes with multiple sizes so i would think one of the should fit but i guess you would never now unless you tried?

Will those fit anything you need them for?? Such as the intake/outtake of an Ehiem 2213?

Can't say for sure, but they come with a huge size variety of clips that screw on the "inside" magnet. The largest clip holds a heater tube (Ebo Jaeger) with room to spare, so I'm guessing that's large enough for a cannister intake.

I dont need a huge clip Im pretty sure the tubes are 1/2". Has anyone used these? How many come in the pack? Not the best description on the website.

I dont need a huge clip Im pretty sure the tubes are 1/2". Has anyone used these? How many come in the pack? Not the best description on the website.

Uhhhh.... I've used them. They definitely have a clip that will handle 1/2". I'd say the clips cover anything from super-tiny airline to something around 1.25" in diameter. Here's a photo from ZooMed's website...

magclip.jpg

One set of magnets per pack (inside and outside = one set), with 6 possible clip sizes to screw into the inside magnet.

The smaller clips look like they will work, going to have to order a set. I hate the way the tubes stick out now without the suction cups. Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom