Suggested Warmer Temperature Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank Voyeur

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Fish Friends,

I just moved into a new rental house for past two weeks, and am just about ready to set up a new 5 gallon nano type tank. However, we don't have air conditioning and the temperature within the house can easily reach as high as 85-90F.

I was originally going to set up plants.....and then add sparkling gouramis, crayfish, and perhaps a few snails. However, the temperature within the house is giving me pause to reconsider.

Given its a 5 gallon with less room for error, can you suggest options for fish that could better thrive if the temperature consistently reaches up to 85-90 during these current summer days? (....and thats before I entertain any type of chiller mechanism or fan)

If you can't upgrade to a 10 gallon, Green Neon Tetras may work. They're smaller than regular Neons and reportedly will tolerate temps into the mid-80s or higher. A half dozen may work for you.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If the tank is out of the sun then I don't think the tank will get hotter than the air temp and there are many fish that will work in that temp range. However I don't recommend many fish in a tank that small. Not a fan of nano tank thing myself.

If the tank is out of the sun then I don't think the tank will get hotter than the air temp and there are many fish that will work in that temp range. However I don't recommend many fish in a tank that small. Not a fan of nano tank thing myself.

Yeah, I agree with this. In your case, a larger tank would have the benefit of not heating up as quickly. If you can swing it, a 15 gallon would give you a ton more flexibility with regard to water temp, species, and stable water parameters. Even a 10 gallon is way better than a 5 gallon.

If your tank gets direct sunlight, throw a heavy towel over it during that part of the day.

A 5 gal is a good size for a betta and that temperature will be fine the water won't be a hot as the air.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thank you all for the input!

I already bought the 5 gallon (Fluval Spec V, still in the box) which I could take back, but I also bought a stand which I assembled.....so I'm sticking with the 5.
This is a challenge, as I've previously had a 60 gallon.

Green tetras sound feasible....and I've read that Red Cherry Shrimp can withstand extremes.....

However, I'm also going to try my hand at a DIY cooling fan to blow across the surface.

....if only there were such a species as a Dwarf Discus.....

I don't believe any dwarf cichlid can go in a 5 gallon even the smallest shell dwellers. You could also look at ember tetras their ideal parameters are 73-84 degrees. And smaller than most tetras. Freshwater shrimp have become one of my favourite things to watch in my community tank tbh. Their energetic behaviour makes them a centre piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I vote shrimp all the way! I've got some and they've survived everything my inexperienced self has done to this poor tank. :whistle:

One last question (yeah, right).....

Will a dwarf crayfish be able to handle occasional high temps? .....any more or less so than the fish?

Back
Top Bottom