super glue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tpurser

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it safe to super glue a decor and place it in the aqaurium?

Yes, it appears that most super glues (cyanoacrylate) are water-stable and aquarium safe. I would only use regular super glue, none of the specialty types like rubberized CA, etc. The few times I've used it, I let the glue cure for at least 24 hours just for my own personal assurance that any outgassing had finished. Keep in mind that CA itself is relatively brittle. For larger or heavier objects you wish to join I would suggest using aquarium-safe silicone. Then there's epoxy, the power-geek, DIY'er adhesive of choice.

Also, don't use it anywhere where a water-tight sweal is needed. It will be impervious where applied, but isn't meant to be applied over 100% of the surfaces being joined, and so may leave microgaps between the surfaces. That and its inability to maintain a seal when even slightly flexed could cause problems. Shouldn't be a problem for decor, though.

Super glue is safe. I'd let it dry thoroughly before putting the decoration back in the tank, but I've used it in my tanks before with no problem. I'm told salties use it all the time for corals.

My experience of superglue in enclosed spaces is to have a fan blowing through while it cures, this way it doesn't leave those nasty looking white marks (including fingerprints, it's damned good for forensics for this feature!!!)... :)

Super glue is more then safe. In salt water we use the gel and put it immediately back in the tank. It cures better under water anyway.

And as an added bit of info to make you feel better, one of the very first uses for cyanoacralate glues was for medical purposes. The kind used in medicine is formulated a little differently, currently, but it's nontoxic enough to use on human cuts (other than possible irritation).

Sidi said:
And as an added bit of info to make you feel better, one of the very first uses for cyanoacralate glues was for medical purposes. The kind used in medicine is formulated a little differently, currently, but it's nontoxic enough to use on human cuts (other than possible irritation).

I thought it was the other way round, superglue being found to be great at holding cuts and loose ears together.... :?

Back
Top Bottom