Switching Tanks (Help!!!!!!!!!!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coalcut

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a 55 gallon tank. I'll be moving up to a 150 gallon tank in the next few days.

1. What to I need to do and in what order to have a sucessful transition?

2. My current filter can be used for tanks up to 200 gallons. Do you think this will be enough or should I purchase an additional filter?

Thanks

coalcut said:
I currently have a 55 gallon tank. I'll be moving up to a 150 gallon tank in the next few days.

1. What to I need to do and in what order to have a sucessful transition?

2. My current filter can be used for tanks up to 200 gallons. Do you think this will be enough or should I purchase an additional filter?

Thanks
1. Transfer bio media from the other tank, acclimate fish properly, and make sure your beneficial bacteria will allow u to put in the amounts of fish going in there.... in this case you might need another filter to keep the 55 going until u get all the fish in there.... but if you are simply moving all the fish from tank to tank now, then it should be enough to support.
2. It depends on the flow rate of the filter. Manufacturers often over rate their filters.

I would say get another filter. On my 10 Fw tank I had an aqueon 10-15 and some other 20-30 it was a total of about 300gph on my 10 gallon tank

o.jonathan.o said:
I would say get another filter. On my 10 Fw tank I had an aqueon 10-15 and some other 20-30 it was a total of about 300gph on my 10 gallon tank

Wow! That's a ton of filtration! Lol

To 1: what max said

To 2: depends on the amount and kind of fish you keep

I was moving my tank recently-- it wasn't on such the grand scale as yours (I was only upgrading from 60 to about 100l) though.
What I did is I placed all my fishes into a Tupperware with a heater, put all the water from "old" 60l tank into the new one, then moved all the gravel, filter and decorations. And finally put the fishes as well. And I topped it up with a fresh water. It took me few hours, because the "new" 90l tank was previously used by someone else and very, very neglected so I had to give it a good clean.

Thanks for all the info. I'm still torn over getting an additional filter (currently have a jebo 839....I know some folks don't like them but mines has been working great {24/7} for some time now) or buy one large filter (Fuval FX5). What do you all think? i know the first option would be cheaper but it would also be cheaper:).

coalcut said:
any thoughts on the filter?

It should be fine, but may not clean as well as it did on your 55 gallon. U should see if you like it first

Back
Top Bottom