tank #1, prob #1: missing loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr.Danio

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok, so i have a 10 gallon tank in the research lab to keep some pretty, interesting, non-danio type fish for our amusement. 3 tiger barbs (2 tiny ones 1 big momma), 2 hf tetras, 1 tricolor shark, 1 chinese algae eater, and one weather loach. They've been doing great, we spoil them, they couldn't be happier... then the loach dissapeared.

started late last week when the CAE decided to take over his little hiding spot inside the castle/rock/plastic thing. He'd slip in, then get chased out, lather rinse repeat. he was hiding under the clam bubbler tuesday morning, then by late afternoon, they seemed to be sharing the castle. The loach was in there, and the CAE would chase someone, then return. Now normally the loach is in there all day and comes out when we leave for the night, so i wansn't surprised that he was in there. it was strange that the CAE shared it with him...

Now its thursday, and i haven't seen the loach for 2 days... so i pick up the castle... nothing... I check the floor and under stuff all over... nothing... i poke the gravel and sift around for him... hmmm... then we look at the algae eater... he looks fatter... crap.

Our current theory is that he killed the loach, dragged him to his lair, then ate him over the last days... bones and all. now i know that CAEs can be agressive and stuff, but kill and completely devour a 5 inch weather loach in 2 days? Is this reasonable? I may bring him home to the 35 gallon agressive carnivour tank if he keeps it up, i knew it would come to this sometime.

So, anyone have any ideas if this is plausible? other theories? thanks for any feedback.

Loaches can be funny like that. Keep you eyes open for him; I know of people who swore their loaches were gone, only to have them show up months later. Also check around the tank area itself, that have been known to go carpet surfing and get further then you might think.

I had 2 weather loaches in a 55 and they are the reason i now keep my tank tightly covered!!! I couldn't find 1 of them for about a week or so. I figured he was just hidin out. But one day when i was cleaning house i discovered he had jumped out of the tank and crawled all the way to the other side of the room before he died!!! About a week later the other one did the same and soon after i covered my tanks!

had a AE that climbed up onto the shelf my hood sits on and managed to get stuck, it was about 2 hours before i noticed and he died. Also i had a loach that also did a houdini, to this day ive not a clue where he went...

But that was about 6 months ago and i have new tank now!

:fadein:

Back
Top Bottom