Tank angle too drastic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bichir Bro

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my 60 gallon aquarium has always been leaning foreword pretty drastically but it's bugging, and scaring, me. Here's some pics:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420331995.202210.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420332013.450528.jpg
Should I be worried? Any tips to make it normal? The TV is level, it's there to give you a reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Drain as much of the water out of the tank as you can and shim it until it's level. That much of a different will cause extra stress on the front seams increasing the risk of failure.

Drain as much of the water out of the tank as you can and shim it until it's level. That much of a different will cause extra stress on the front seams increasing the risk of failure.

Ok I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks!
*edit* should I take the fish out before this? This way I could get the level lower.

The type of stand you have is very important when shimming. If its a pressed board stand and has cross braces under it they must be shimmed also because the weight is transfered through all the vertical boards to those cross braces and then to the floor. If they are floating from shimming the sides only the stand will sag or worse twist and crack the tank. If its the aqueon pine stand then you should be good to only shim under the perimeter. Hope this makes sense

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The type of stand you have is very important when shimming. If its a pressed board stand and has cross braces under it they must be shimmed also because the weight is transfered through all the vertical boards to those cross braces and then to the floor. If they are floating from shimming the sides only the stand will sag or worse twist and crack the tank. If its the aqueon pine stand then you should be good to only shim under the perimeter. Hope this makes sense

Uh not to me no not really lol but my dad can likely make sense of it. We're not home right now so I'll ask him then post a pic here. Thanks! It came with the tank (a marine land tank and stand)

Here's the stand...
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420337942.186028.jpg

How's the floor? Is it possible that the weight of the tank and water is warping the floor? You might want to check out the level of the floor right next to the stand. If the floor is bad too, shimming the stand is not really going to be a long term solution. You'll need to support the floor from underneath.

Hope this helps (y)

How's the floor? Is it possible that the weight of the tank and water is warping the floor? You might want to check out the level of the floor right next to the stand. If the floor is bad too, shimming the stand is not really going to be a long term solution. You'll need to support the floor from underneath.

Hope this helps (y)

Every time I need to do something I'm not home! I'll definitely check when I get back but I'm pretty sure it's the stand. It looked like this even without the tank on it when I first bought it. Thanks!

It also looks like the stand is on carpeting? Is that the case? Even with plywood on the carpet, carpeting could cause the leaning. I have that issue with a filing cabinet in my home office. I needed to attach it to the wall or it would lean really bad from the carpeting. :facepalm: Found that out the hard way when I opened the top drawer. lol

It also looks like the stand is on carpeting? Is that the case? Even with plywood on the carpet, carpeting could cause the leaning. I have that issue with a filing cabinet in my home office. I needed to attach it to the wall or it would lean really bad from the carpeting. :facepalm: Found that out the hard way when I opened the top drawer. lol

Yes it's on carpet lol. My dad actually was going to attach it to the wall when I drain it and stuff. He also said shimming will be sort of a last result.

There is a tack strip for the carpet at the wall that is the thickness of the padding. If the back of the stand is on the tack strip it won't compress like the carpet padding does. You may just have to move the tank and plywood if that's under the stand forward a couple inches. As far as shimming look under the stand and if you can see all the way to the back then just shim under the sides to the front. If there is a board that's about 1/2 way back you will need to shim under that also

There is a tack strip for the carpet at the wall that is the thickness of the padding. If the back of the stand is on the tack strip it won't compress like the carpet padding does. You may just have to move the tank and plywood if that's under the stand forward a couple inches. As far as shimming look under the stand and if you can see all the way to the back then just shim under the sides to the front. If there is a board that's about 1/2 way back you will need to shim under that also

Alright I'll definitely check for this, I can prolly talk em into doing this tomorrow. This is a very good lesson for me, never just put a tank. Plan the tank.

Agh try and get it level asap I learned the hard way. Any twisting or un level on the glass can make it crack! Even the slightest

I had my 20 gallon on top of a table runner on top of a sturdy dresser. It cracked and leaked everywhere. The LFS said it was bc it wasn't level on the dresser. Bad time!

Agh try and get it level asap I learned the hard way. Any twisting or un level on the glass can make it crack! Even the slightest

I had my 20 gallon on top of a table runner on top of a sturdy dresser. It cracked and leaked everywhere. The LFS said it was bc it wasn't level on the dresser. Bad time!

This will not be a night I sleep well lol! Thanks all for your help!

Dude... that's not good, drain it down, slide it an inch away from base board, get some of the pergo. Samples from home depot and use them to level that bad boy.. sooner than later.. all that pressure on the front panel can't be good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dude... that's not good, drain it down, slide it an inch away from base board, get some of the pergo. Samples from home depot and use them to level that bad boy.. sooner than later.. all that pressure on the front panel can't be good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just noticed there's more water on the left side than right, meaning it's leaning there too. Idk this is a ton, no easy way outta this one though. I may just go out and look for a new stand tomorrow. It's so friggin tall, ain't no way it's stable even after I do all this.

*edit* not doing that.

You would be surprised at how stable a stand with 800lbs of weight on it is. Even when shimmed.

You would be surprised at how stable a stand with 800lbs of weight on it is. Even when shimmed.

Alright thanks! Tomorrow will definitely tell us a lot, if scooting and shimming doesn't work.....scooting and shimming better work.

Back
Top Bottom