Tank bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeanMurphy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Possibly a silly question, but is it possible to over-oxygenate a tank? I've got quite a bit of surface agitation in my tank, and I seem to have an ever-present suspension of teeny tiny air bubbles in my water. These bubbles tend to precipitate out into large bubbles on my plastic and textured glass fixtures like the heater and the pvc plant. I presume that too much air in the water is preferable to not enough, but I thought I'd toss it out there for discussion.

Is your tank new? New tanks frequently have tiny bubbles until they become established. If not new are you using an air stone? You can get regulators to control the flow of air cheap for the air stones. I personally don't think air bubbles are a problem in most tanks.

Its not new, no. All the stone decorations outgassed within the first few hours of being installed and all the bubbles precipitated as the original fill came up to temperature when I first set the tank up about a month ago, so I know the phenomenon you're talking about, but this looks much different. The bubbles are so tiny as to be mistaken for dust in the water, except for how they gather on the heater and form big bubbles. Additionally, I'm not running any air stone, just the two Aquaclear 30 filters which create so much surface agitation. I'm nearly positive that's where the air in the water is coming from, just wanted to make sure it wouldn't pose a risk.

It shouldn't at all, keep an eye on your parameters to make sure you have no ammonia or nitrite though as the tank is still relatively new. What fish are you keeping and what size tank? You can always post pics :lol: (Shamless dig for pics of people's tanks.)

i get the same thing, i have to aquaclears and 2 air curtains in my 55 gallon.. if you look really close you can see tiny bubbles in the water but from a distance it looks clear. Also it accumulates on my heater as well. Nothing 2 worry about.

The tank is running with 8 Platys in it right now (2M 6F), a baby pleco and a handful of MTS which are still missing in action in the gravel somewhere. I was thinking about adding a few guppies to the tank to break up the color a bit. The platys are of several different colorations, red wag, mickey mouse, a silver tux and a plain looking platy that looks like it might be a 'wild' platy or something, its silver with some odd colored stripes and specks like a rainbow trout might have. The pleco is, at best, a temporary resident, since he'll outgrow the tank in relatively short order, and when that happens, into my friend's tank, or back to the lfs he goes. I'll get pictures in my gallery as soon as I get a digital camera worth using (hope santa reads this).

Back
Top Bottom