Tank by tv???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have my 30 gallon tank next to my tv and I've had tons of problems with fish dying!!!

My water is perfect. I have done multiple tests with my API water test kit and I've taken my water to petco to get tested and it's perfect every time!!!

Is it possible that having my tank next to my tv is stressing the fish enough to keep killing them???

It's not just one type of fish that has died unexpectedly either. It's anywhere from non hardy fish to really hardy fish like danios or guppies that have died.

What do u guys/gals think???

I have my 55 gallon goldfish tank right beneath my tv and have never had any issues with it stressing the fish out.

I have no idea whats going on then!!! Here are some details about the tank.

30 gallon
Filters: Aqeuon quietflow 50 and sunsun 302w canister filter
I run a tetra whisper 10 gallon air stone on this tank at all times also.
This tank has been up and running for about 7 months now.
It has regular aquarium white sand in it.
I have live plants (2 anubius on the driftwood, some water wisteria, 2 amazon swords, 1 crypt parva, 1 moss ball, and some sag.
Its as low as low light gets but my plants do fine.
I use liquid and dry ferts. I dose liquid ferts twice a week(mondays and thursdays) and use dry ferts(root tabs) in the substrate.
The lights are on 6-8 hours a day.
I keep the temp set at 78.

I have gone through a lot of fish and the water parameters are perfect or close to perfect at worst. Here is a list of types of fish that have died in this tank: danios, guppies, 1 angelfish, corys, mollies, swordtails, dwarf gouramis, 1 bolivian ram, ottos, and any shrimp that i put in the tank.

So if anyone has any suggestions PLEASE HELP!!!

I had issues with fish dying for seemingly no reason for months before I figured out it was gill flukes. Have you noticed any of the fish gasping at the surface before they die?

What exactly are your parameters? What are you using for dechlorinator?

I had issues with fish dying for seemingly no reason for months before I figured out it was gill flukes. Have you noticed any of the fish gasping at the surface before they die? What exactly are your parameters? What are you using for dechlorinator?

I haven't really noticed them gasping at the surface like that. I do with seachem prime.

My parameters are:
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
0-5 nitrate
That's using a API test kit.

Usually they are dead in the mornings. I don't see them die.

I will test my ph tomorrow and see what it is.

How could I have large ph swings?? And how do I avoid the swings??

pH changes daily under normal conditions however if the water doesn't contain a lot of buffers then those pH swings will be greater. It's not very common but it does happen.

Is it possible that something (chemical) was inadvertently introduced such as glass cleaner or furniture polish? Aerosol and/fumes can drift and be absorbed by the tank water. Just throwing that out there.

fresh2o Made a good comment not sure what kind of top is on your tank or if youve sprayed your t.v recently / furniture near by. but that is definetly a very good thing to keep in mind

a freind of mine once cleaned / painted his room and the fumes alone contaminated his water and he lost several fish.

Goodluck
-H3F4D

fresh2o Made a good comment not sure what kind of top is on your tank or if youve sprayed your t.v recently / furniture near by. but that is definetly a very good thing to keep in mind a freind of mine once cleaned / painted his room and the fumes alone contaminated his water and he lost several fish. Goodluck -H3F4D

I don't think that this is it bc I've lost fish over time. It seems I lose fish maybe once every week or 2.

Is it possible that fish might get stressed from the sound of the TV? Is it loud? Have you been watching lots of action movies? No idea if that can be a factor, just wondering out loud in case somebody knows.

Is it possible that fish might get stressed from the sound of the TV? Is it loud? Have you been watching lots of action movies? No idea if that can be a factor, just wondering out loud in case somebody knows.

That's what I thought!!! Bc at times it can be loud. And there is a lot of tv watched in this house.

Imho its possible but not probable.

What about your pH?

My ph is at 7.6. Is this bad??? I have 7 harlequin rasboras, 5 panda Cory's, and a bn pleco right now in my tank.

Attachments

• image-2637090146.jpg
    image-2637090146.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 47
Back
Top Bottom