Tank Cleaners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gourami guy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I have a 30 gallon tank that has three gouramis in it I also want to put two angelfish in it what would you recommend to clean the tank? (I heard BN plecos were good).

Hi,
I have a 30 gallon tank that has three gouramis in it I also want to put two angelfish in it what would you recommend to clean the tank? (I heard BN plecos were good).

I wouldn't do angelfish cause there mid level swimmer also an would bully the gouramis or it would be the other way around. Your pushing territory boundaries right now with 3 gouramis. Plecos are not good cleaners and have high bio loads. Is there anything else in the tank? I recommend Otos and Cory cats for cleaners

"Your pushing territory boundaries right now with 3 gouramis."

One of my gouramis is bullying another one:hide:. by the way no there not anything else in the tank.

"Your pushing territory boundaries right now with 3 gouramis."

One of my gouramis is bullying another one:hide:. by the way no there not anything else in the tank.

The best way to handle this is by setting up sight breakers and dividing the tank with decorations. Mabye rehome the bully

I have heard angelfish will kill small fish like cories and otos

No, I have an angel in with serval small fish with no probs yet. An angel would not be wise with grouamis, there are serval other probs with these species, they could work in larger tanks, but you don't have enough territory for one, an it will cause lots of bulling

A pair of angels and gouramis won't work. A 30g isn't enough room for 2 angels and 3 pretty big gouramis. For cleaners I suggest a gravel vac and water changes :) cory cats may work but are NOT cleaners. They only eat food found on the bottom

Personally I'd probably get a small shoal of otto's in for the glass and some Cory's and Malaysian trumpet snails (mts) for the bottom. You probably won't see the mts unless you have low oxygen in the tank as they burrow, but they'll definaty help clean the bottom and also turn over the gravel to prevent nitrogen bubbles building up. Gourami's and even angels are completely fine with smaller fish, unless you're talking about neons, in which case all bets are off. I wouldn't mix the Angels and gourami's in that tank either though

Malaysian Trumpet Snails are livebearers and will breed according to how much food is available. I don't mind them at all. Nerites are great tank snails and can't breed in freshwater. Other snails like Ramshorns and Mystery Snails will also breed like crazy if there is a lot of food available.

I won't keep large gourami's with angels unless it's Pearl gourami's. I've never had issues with that mix. Angels and cories are fine. I have 9 large angels and about 25 cories in my 220g. I also keep Dwarf and Honey gourami's with angels with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom