Tank Help, please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishgirl13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone. First post here on AquariumAdvice.

Two weeks ago I went to a first birthday party and my kids received two Common Goldfish as a favor. We decided to use this as a good reason to start our first aquarium. We purchased a 20 gallon hex tank (Aqueon) and Topfin Bacteria Supplement (among other things). We set up the tank up on 27th, followed the Topfin instructions, and got the fish in the tank on the 28th.

Last week I did some research and now understand that the tank is way too small for two Common Goldfish (AqAdvisor has it stocked at close to 200%). I knew I could not keep these fish so I brought them to a local fish store and got some tropicals instead. The tank was re-stocked on Saturday (2nd) with 3 Dwarf Guoramis, 3 White Skirt Tetras, and 3 Black Phatom Tetras. I also got two live plants, Amazon Swords. Per AqAdvisor, my filtration is adequate and stocking level 96% with this combination. Before getting the new fish in I did a 25% water change and dosed with API Quick Start.

The first night in the new tank 1 of the Phantom Tetra's vanished. I have searched the decorations, vacuumed the gravel, checked the filter... no remains or anything. I am assuming he died and was eaten. Since then I got an API Master Test Kit and learned more on the Nitrogen Cycle.

Testing on Sunday (3rd) was .25 Ammonia / 0 Nitrite / 0 Nitrate. I did a 25% Water Change and dosed with Seachem Prime to neutralize the Ammonia. Today (4th) I tested again and it read close .5 Ammonia / 0 Nitrite / 0 Nitrate, so I did another 25% water change and dosed with Prime. Several hours later I re-dosed with API Quick Start.

Questions:
1. What should I do next? I am thinking 50% water changes daily and dosing with Prime and Quick Start (several hours later) until the bacteria takes hold. Shouldn't I be seeing at least some Nitrites by now considering the tank has been up almost a week and a half?
2. Will the current levels harm the current fish? Even with Prime?
3. Is it likely the missing fish was eaten?
4. Is API Quickstart a viable product or should I do or use something else?

Thank you so much for your help and advice!

Attachments

• ourtank.jpg
    ourtank.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 42
Fishgirl, your doing everything correctly, but maybe working too hard. You might cut your daily
WC's down to 25%. Your water parameter checks are all low due to the big WC's. Your "Prime"
doesn't actually rid your tank of ammonia. It alters ammonia making it safer for fish. Your tester will still register the altered ammonia as ammonia.
Just feed your fish sparingly, they don't need much. Do your daily 25% WC's with "Prime" . It's up to you regarding the bacteria jump start solution. Watch your fish for signs of stress, gasping at the surface, or lathargic, hanging near the bottom of tank. It will all level out in a month. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom