Tank leak probabilities...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It does make you paranoid, your brain plays tricks on you, I have even set my alarm to get up and check. lol ,this new one is built in to a solid metal frame so I feel better now....

Redoing seals is not a bad idea, but also not a simple thing to do properly. If you don't get ALL the old sealant off, you're not going to get a water tight seal. But I think most of us ought to know how to do it, just in case.

I worry more about filters overflowing. Since I was forced to move my tanks [ landlord troubles] and there wasn't room for the 29s, I had to downsize in April. Now my bedroom has a 5G [ breeder with a pair of Rice fish] , a 10G community with tiny rasboras, dwarf chain loaches, golden Otos and a ton of shrimp. Then there's the frog and snail tank that's around 8G and 3 x 2.5G for the 3 Bettas. And another 5G I use to raise live food. The 10G is overstocked, and I am darn careful with the water in there, but it is also very densely planted and that helps immensely.

But the filter is an AC mini that has an AC 50 impeller in it. Works well enough, but the flow being so much greater means it has to be cleaned much more often and I have wakened twice now to the sound of water dripping, from the AC mini, which sucked two gallons out of the 10G tank before I woke up. No major harm done, and I did have a big towel on the floor that soaked up most of it, but still, scary. Now if the tanks are not full enough that the filters are quiet, any trickling watery noise wakes me up. I once also had a flood in my former basement bedroom, long ago. The flood water was swirling UNDER my 29G tank, which sat on a low stand. Surreal, water swirling under a tank of water full of fish, and the lights were still on. I woke to the sound of trickling water that time too. The sound makes me right nervous now, I can tell you.

Be nice to get back to the living room and my larger tanks, if the landlord EVER gets off his butt and does the promised repairs ! The stand I built for those tanks is solid as a rock, totally water proof and will hold at least a few gallons of water before it would flow over the trim edges of the shelf top. Custom built to hold water like a shallow pool, unless it gets higher than the edge trim. But it is more reassuring than my dresser tops and book shelves :).

EH I have 3 fish tanks in my bedroom lol.. and my bedroom is a small room like a kids room in a house not the masterbedroom.. I have my desk on one wall in the middle, then my 27g hex in one corner and my 44g Pentagon in the other corner, and then my bed on the other opposite side wall with my 10g Bowfront on my nightstand... It might sound insaine maybe it is, but I enjoy looking at my tanks when in my bed or on my pc.. I changed all my filters from HOB to Top fin internal filters which are nearly dead silent you cant even hear the mmmm noise most filters make.. I have top fin air bubble thingys the 10g version which are the only things I can hear in my room.. Sometimes I just unplug them as my internal filters provide more then enough surface agitation.. Virtually my room is quiet even with 2 big tanks in them.. Internal filters are the way to go....

But then I suppose I can get away with having 3 tanks like this because a Hexagon and Pentagon are corner tanks, they don't take up an entire wall

You guys want to see worn out seals... look at my hexagons seals all 5 panels on the hexagon look like this.. My 22 year old 30g is like this too. Im kind curious how long it will last

img_3079161_0_25d6177ff952cab3df4efffeeefde4e7.jpg

img_3079161_1_77000ce63166208e1857fd822f574541.jpg

Back
Top Bottom