Tankmates for African Butterfly fish and 2 reed fish (new member)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which grouping for tankmates with my reedfish and butterfly fish?

• 1st grouping

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • 2nd grouping

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3rd grouping

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of these groupings are compatable

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hennaartist

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello:
This is my first post, although I have read many posts for quite some time. Please bare with me. I have a 55 gallon aquarium with dark gravel substrait, rock and driftwood decor, and a few plants. I currently have 2 reed fish (10 -11 inches), 1 butterfly fish (approx 3 inches), and two mystery snails (I could move the snail to the glow tank). They get along wonderfully together and all are easily hand fed. I would like to add some tank mates, preferrably colorful and interesting of course. Also, keep in mind that I have no desire to breed (would actually prefer not to have fry), and I do realize most of the fish being added would have to alreadt be of decent size. I have a few groupings that I have been thinking of (none may even be an option), but I would like some opinions.

1st grouping (and my most desired) is to add some peacock cichlids. This way I could also keep it an african tank.

2nd grouping is to add a couple angel fish, a couple gourami (not dwarf, and possibly male only)

3rd grouping is to add a couple gourami (not dwarf, and possibly male only), and a few bala sharks (I do realize bala's will eventually outgrow the tank but my lfs is great about rehoming).

So, now I ask for advice....
Could I do the cichlids? Ive heard that peacocks are "less aggressive" cichlids.

If I do gouramis, can I do male only?

Which group (if any) do you think is more compatable?

I am open to all suggestions and opinions
Thank you so much

The African butterfly may get torn up. The rope fish should be fine because they stay hidden a lot, but wouldn't have a chance if the peacock wanted to go after it. So I wouldn't do the peacocks. They are less aggressive for Africans. If you want peaceful cichlids you will have to look at some South Americans. Geophagus, severums, keyholes, festivums, angel, and uaru are much more peaceful then any Africans. You could try the angel and Gouramis. I wouldn't do the bala, even if you can get them a new home you might stunt there growth and cause irreversible damage.

The altolamprologus compressiceps is a African that could work.

I think I am probably leaning more toward the Angel if the peacocks are not going to work. My 7 year old really wants an angel. Thank you for the suggestion, I really appreciate it.

Also, both of my reedfish are actually quite active. Ive read that they are supposed to be nocturnal and generally hide, but I have also read a couple articles to the contrary. Mine are definitely active. They have many tubes and hiding places, at night they usually go into the tubes, but during the day they play around and through them. They are all over the tank. After having them, I dont think I could have aquariums without having them. They love to be hand fed, and anytime I stick my hand in the tank they start swimming around my fingers.

If i do the gourami and the angels, are there any recommendations for the order they should be added? For example, should I let the gourami's get settled in and established before adding the angels, or vice versa?

Also how many gourami and how many angels?

I wouldn't do an angel, the butterfly fish would destroy it, trust me
If you got an agressive gourami like let's say an opaline, or gold, then it could probably stand a chance

First I want to thank you for your reply. I can appreciate all advice.

As far as picking a more aggressive gourami, which fish are a concern with the gourami? The angels or the butterfly?

Have you personally kept an angel and butterfly together? The reason I ask is because after quite a bit of research, that combination was one of my lesser worries. Also, the butterfly fish never seemed to bother the two mollies I had (which are now in a friends tank because I worried about them with the growing reedfish.)

Oh yes I did, I had a total agressive tank, a 125, and it was probably the best tank I ever had
My worries is the African butterfly fish, any top level fish will have a fishy with it, and if it can't stand it's ground, it will be torn to shreds

I thought angels were mid level swimmers, therefore less encroaching on the butterfly's territory. Again, I've never had the two together.
Thanks for the heads up.

They are, but twy also swim up, trust me, I did that thinking the same thing, I saw it happen
The ABF rammed into the angel fish, the angelfish just like froze in place, he rammed it again, this time shocking it, took a bite from it and bye bye angelfish

I kept an angel and african butterfly together for quite some time, maybe 2 years. Until the AFB got eaten by a catfish that I was told wouldn't bother anything in my tank but ended up housing 4 fish. So like usual, it depends not the fish. My angel stood up for himself. He was with severums, gourami, and Congo tetras.

I would say getting the angel first MIGHT help it define its territory. But it dosent guarantee anything. Pearl gourami, and moonlight gourami would probably do best with angels, they are usually the more docile. Opaline, three dot, giants, and kissing are usually more aggressive.

A friend (who knows a decent amount about fish) suggested that I start out with a larger angel, so the butterfly would be less likely to go after it

Ya that could work, but again all fish have their own personalities. What works for one person may not work for another. It's just about being responsible and watching closely. If there is a problem then remove one or the other.

So I stopped by the lfs today to get crickets for my butterfly and was told that 4-6 ram cichlids and 2-3 angels would go really well with the 2 reed, and 1 butterfly I already have. They also said that if I can always bring back any that are acting aggressive for store credit. I'm always watching my fish and tank, and I am even more watchful when adding more fish.

What do you all think about this. I've got a pretty good lfs, but I just want to get a few more opinions on this combination and amount of fish

If you want an angel, I think 2 would be a good choice, but if I were you I would get big ones, adult ones if possible
Also the rams might or might not work, they can fight with each other

If you want an angel, I think 2 would be a good choice, but if I were you I would get big ones, adult ones if possible
Also the rams might or might not work, they can fight with each other

I was planning on at least medium angels due to the butterfly fish (which is still small to medium sized). They recommended the 4-6 rams because I wouldn't be getting a known pair. I was told I would likely have to bring a couple back to the store once they established themselves and I knew more about the pairing of them.

I still think that sounds like too many rams I would try two

Back
Top Bottom