temperature variation in my 75

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

godkins

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Getting daily variation from 78 to 81 degrees. Is this an issue? Basic community fish (danios, tetras, corys) and low tech plants. have a 5 year old 300 watt Eheim heater in my 75 gal tank. Ambient air temp releatively stable @ 66 degrees. Thanks to advise

go...

As long at the temperature stays steady in this range, I don't see a problem. Sudden changes of several degrees would be a problem. But, I see nothing wrong.

B

Would you say this is normal? I am wondering when the time will come for a new heater.

1. 5yrs is awhile. A heater not a big investment.
2. 3-5w per gallon depending on your location/climate/room temps
3. In larger tanks consider two heaters for even heating and as a backup
4. Make sure thermoter is correct

Would you say this is normal? I am wondering when the time will come for a new heater.
No not normal or what I would want for my tank.
3 degrees up everyday and back down sounds like maybe the light is adding heat?
What is the heater set for? if it is set for 78 is it on when it is 79-80? If it is I would think to replace soon ,as you never know when it won't stop at 81?

Thank you so much for the insights. Would anyone like to comment on heater configurations? Preferred brand and wattage for the 75 with a relatively strong canister moving water?

I use titanium heaters with external thermostats on all of my tanks over 40g. A bit more pricey than standard heaters, but they're unbreakable, last quite some time, and never vary more than 1 degree F in temp. They also seem to heat the water to temp faster after water changes, if I get it a bit too cool. The thermostats also have surge protectors and safety shut-offs in case of any malfunctions.

^^ Good stuff there and I agree ^^

I use Aqueon PRO heaters which I order online to save a ton of money...
Very accurate and nearly indestructible. Black plastic encapsulating an aluminum sleeve that hides well in tank.
They rate size by the amount of gallons you need to raise "X" degrees above room temp.
For a 75 the guide says 200 watt will get your tank 10f over room temp of 68 -72..
If you want to be able to go 15f over 72 then 250 watt..
I have over 30 and still recommend them..Many like cobalt also...
Order online....
Aqueon Pro Heaters

Back
Top Bottom