Testing brackish water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TraceyB4602

Aquarium Advice FINatic
When testing brackish water with the API master kit, do I use the SW kit or the FW kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

I believe it would be the freshwater kit. But you would also have to get a hydrometer to test your salinity levels

tyspot1000 said:
I believe it would be the freshwater kit. But you would also have to get a hydrometer to test your salinity levels

Yes I new about the hydrometer. I just inherited a brackish and just don't know about the testing. I'll try the FW kit I have and see if it works. Thanks Ty.

I use the FW kit for our BW tank. I read somewhere, and I'll look for the link at some point, that SW stuff (chemicals, test kits etc) doesn't read as well for BW because they are made for the higher salt content. Don't know if that's true or not, but been using all FW stuff for our BW going on 3 years this summer and no problems yet. *knocks on wood*

DragonFish71 said:
I use the FW kit for our BW tank. I read somewhere, and I'll look for the link at some point, that SW stuff (chemicals, test kits etc) doesn't read as well for BW because they are made for the higher salt content. Don't know if that's true or not, but been using all FW stuff for our BW going on 3 years this summer and no problems yet. *knocks on wood*

Awesome thanks a lot. Saves me money.
: )

Back
Top Bottom