The driftwood process... ouchies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay after i got my driftwood in the mail and some tips from the driftwood article, I went to lowes and picked up a rubbermade tub (which I'll prolly use in the future), 40 pounds of salt 99.6% pure water softener (I know its a hella lot for these pieces but it was the smallest they had, and like any bum I just bought it, was cheap), and two big rocks to hold these puupies down.
Okay this experience took me like 10 minutes to set up, but taught me just how dumb I am. Basically I burned the crap outta my self, especially on the realization that driftwood pieces can be a pain in the @$$ to keep submerged! Anyways here are the photos of my "fun".

Yep pain in the butt but well worth it. That salt is cheap cheap and can be used in aquariums! But don't just take my word for it research it. AND READ the bag before you do. The water softener is usually 99.9% pure sodium.

Uhh, electrobes, I must have read a different article. What is the salt for?! grimlock told me to just soak my driftwood in dechlorified water till it's waterlogged, then boil it for awhile to kill anything on it.

EDIT: Oops, I just saw your other post and the link to the big article by Scott on driftwood. Off to read it...

:D - Thats cool. I'm actually really excited for after getting the rubbermaid tub, the salt etc. I don't see how I can use the salt in another fashion... I mean ti would be nice if I could considering I got about 40 pounds of the stuff!! After setting the thing up with the salt in water and the pump running it got me thinking... I am going to start a mini-brackish plant hatchery. Since I will have the lights from the old canopy, I will use it to light the plants, but I also have an extra 65 watt mogul based LoA bulb muwahahaha... I think I'll just use that instead now that I think about it.
I do have one question though.. can you over salt when curing driftwood?

Back
Top Bottom