Thoughts on our missing fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4thgradescience

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello All,

So we noticed two days ago that one of our long fin zebra danios is not active in the tank, actually seems to be missing. We have all checked the tank from the outside. Today I shut the filter and bubbler down(so I could see in the water better) and poked around the plants with a long handled planter. I cannot find the remains of this missing fish. It is a covered tank but I did search the perimeter of the tank as well. When a fish dies will the other fish pick at it so much we cannot find any visible remains? We do a "head count" almost daily so it has not been gone to long. We have a community tank with 2 female guppies, 5 platys, 2 dwarf gouramis, 3 panda cory cats, 4 long fin zebra danio, and 1 African dwarf frog. I am just perplexed that we cannot find a dead fish in a 37 gallon tank. Some of our plants are getting thick but I feel like I checked them pretty thoroughly. The danio was not a tiny fish.

I will increase water testing and do water changes if there is a spike indicating a decomposing fish.

Excellent idea on the water testing in case. Unfortunately I find a fish can go overnight. Might see some remains but often fish will be consumed quite quickly ime.

Back
Top Bottom