Tiger barb question need answer!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco11771

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have 4 cories and 5 TBs in a 20 tall. The TBs were only added about a week and a half ago and I know I need more but my only problem is that my five are almost adults and my lfs only has juveniles. Can I add juvies or will they get bullied to death?

When it come to adult TB's and juveniles, it's a toss up. From what I've read, juvenile TB's are accepted into the shoal, it's TB fry that are in the most danger. However, TB's also establish a hierarchy so it's possible the low man on the totem pole (usually the smallest) could be bullied.

However, I think your fine with 5 TB's. Generally more is better, but in a 20gal tank with bottom dwellers, I'd say give your TB's another week. If they haven't bothered the cories by then, I'd say your fine.

When it come to adult TB's and juveniles, it's a toss up. From what I've read, juvenile TB's are accepted into the shoal, it's TB fry that are in the most danger. However, TB's also establish a hierarchy so it's possible the low man on the totem pole (usually the smallest) could be bullied.

However, I think your fine with 5 TB's. Generally more is better, but in a 20gal tank with bottom dwellers, I'd say give your TB's another week. If they haven't bothered the cories by then, I'd say your fine.

They have nipped my julii a little and my pleco which truly shock me plus they don't swim in the open above the decor at all

They have nipped my julii a little and my pleco which truly shock me plus they don't swim in the open above the decor at all

Do you have a plants, rocks and or DW? Those tend to help TB's feel more secure. Continue to monitor and see if your TB's are bullying your bottom dwellers. In a 20gal you could probably comfortably fit 3 juveniles to bring your shoal up to 8.

However, there's no guarantee they wont fin nip any other fish in the tank. A shoal just makes it less likely they'll bully other fish as they tend fight it out with each other.

BTW ... are they regular TigerBarbs, or do you have a combo with Albino and Green TigerBarbs? Post some pics(y).

sorry for all the posts i am on my phone and its just easier to reply than edit.
Do TBs get bloated easily? whenever i feed mine get rather chubs but after a day or 2 they go back to normal

Do TBs get bloated easily? whenever i feed mine get rather chubs but after a day or 2 they go back to normal

TB's are voracious eaters that'll eat everything in sight. I used to feed mine twice daily, but now I feed mine once 4 times a week.

Yes they will get bullied, but that is the way with tigers. I only had a shoal of 5 and they were fine with the rest of the tank. But I do recommend a few more if they are picking on the others of you tank. They will get picked on for a few days then find their place in the hierarchy and all will be fine. I hope anyway. Good luck to you! Let me know what you decide to do. Nice tank btw.

cool when i was a kid (12-13 years) i saw one online on google and back in those days my family used to travel to mexico every month and in the city there is a fish market and its huge u could find anything there it was just like indoor swap meet as big as a walmart and when we went i looked and looked for one till i found one and i felt that it was way expensive for a betta and i didnt got it, usually a betta in mexico was about 2-5 pesos 20-50 cents us dollars and it was 30 pesos 3 us dollars, back then its when i started to breed them and now that im the one that pays for the fish i can tell that it was an ok price and for it giving that ive seen betta worth 20+ dollars in here (even that i think its a rip off tho)

Yes they will get bullied, but that is the way with tigers. I only had a shoal of 5 and they were fine with the rest of the tank. But I do recommend a few more if they are picking on the others of you tank. They will get picked on for a few days then find their place in the hierarchy and all will be fine. I hope anyway. Good luck to you! Let me know what you decide to do. Nice tank btw.

Hmm I mean my cousin has a 75 gallon with a ton of fish and only 2 tigers left an their adults but it would be impossible to get them out

Hmm I mean my cousin has a 75 gallon with a ton of fish and only 2 tigers left an their adults but it would be impossible to get them out

u could either buy or make a fish trap they are usually for reef tanks when you want to catch a fish with out having to tear down the tank!!!! or u could place the net in wit some bait and when tehy get in to munch on it get them out

cool when i was a kid (12-13 years) i saw one online on google and back in those days my family used to travel to mexico every month and in the city there is a fish market and its huge u could find anything there it was just like indoor swap meet as big as a walmart and when we went i looked and looked for one till i found one and i felt that it was way expensive for a betta and i didnt got it, usually a betta in mexico was about 2-5 pesos 20-50 cents us dollars and it was 30 pesos 3 us dollars, back then its when i started to breed them and now that im the one that pays for the fish i can tell that it was an ok price and for it giving that ive seen betta worth 20+ dollars in here (even that i think its a rip off tho)

Yeah he was a reascue, what is even better is his body has a pink patch on either side that glistens and he has bright neon light blue highly in his fins

Pleco11771 said:

I would go for the juvies. If the other two are not a problem for his tank. Either way the newbies to your tanks tigers will be bullied until all have their place.

Back
Top Bottom