Tiger barbs in 29 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
My dad wants a 29 gallon for his room, an he knows he wants 5 or 6 tiger barbs, what other fish can go in there, will rams and apistos be ok?, he also wants some cories, but I'm not too sure about that he anted a back ghost knife, but I told him that was too big

Black ghost knifes get about a foot, so, yeah, good call on that one. Unfortunately I think the barbs are too active for that size tank. I would stick with a pair of apistogrammas and some cories.

Tiger barbs in a 29g is fine. Because tiger barbs do better in groups of 9 or more, I would suggest foregoing the rams and/or apistos. No BG knifefish, even if it was the only fish in the 29g.

David

I've had a school of 7 tigers in a 29 gallon. Very active, tank mates were 3 golden and 1 rosey barbs. Also had a striped peacock eel for the clean-up crew. It was as peaceful as a barb tank can be:D I loved it!

This is my dads stock
3 normal tiger barbs
3 albino tiger barbs
1 red tail shark
1 gold gourami
3 peppered cory's
1 brown knife
1 bn pleco
1 Bolivian ram
Not sure if this is very good

This is my dads stock
3 normal tiger barbs
3 albino tiger barbs
1 red tail shark
1 gold gourami
3 peppered cory's
1 brown knife
1 bn pleco
1 Bolivian ram
Not sure if this is very good

You overstocked a little bit. And a ram may get mad at tiger barbs. Tigers are nippy and active. They will kill the guorami for sure....and may pick at other fish until one gets mad ....I have much experience with these tiger barbs. They are evil.

I also want a ram like that sooooooo bad. Theres none around here. I woulda filled my 55g with tons of them since they stay fairly small.

Ok I usually count fish then multiply by the average length of them all in which yours is probaly 3. 14 times 3 =42. You need a 55 gallon.

Ok, so I'm taking the gourami and ram out, I'm substituting the knife by a peacock eel, they grow a bit longer, but a lot thinner
What can I substitute for my dwarf gourami, an African leaf fish?

I don't use the 1 inch per fish rule, it's like saying I can put a 10 inch tiger oscar in a 10 gallon

The redtail is not a good idea. They get very territorial as they mature and grow up to 6", and would dominate the cories, and probably end up killing them. I would go with 8 barbs, 5 cory cats, 1 ram, and the BN Pleco.

You may not need a 'center piece' fish. A large school of tiger barbs looks good enough.. But that's just me, it's your tank.

Back
Top Bottom