Tiger Barbs vs Electric Yellow Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermazz9

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was looking for another fish to put in with my Tiger Barbs (7 reg, 3 albino, 3 green) and I was recomended Electric yellows as a fairly mellow cichlid that would mix well.

So I go to the store, and the guy there (dealt with him for a few years now, as yet to misguide me) says the EY's will rip the Tigers to bits.

Has anyone tried this combo before? What were the results?

What combos would you guys suggest with the barbs (and 4 yoyo loaches)? I'd like something with colour, that's why I liked the EY's.

50g's...so it can't be anything huge...EY's are about as big as i want in there...

I'm not concerned about bioload, I can transfer overloads into other tanks...

Even though it's hard to generalize when dealing with cichlids, yellow labs are fairly peaceful (by mbuna standards). Unless the tiger barbs are still tiny, I don't see it being that big of a deal to try it in your 50g tank. Adult barbs in a school should be fine with the labs; if there is a problem you can step in and separate 'em.

Personally I wouldn't keep the labs with the barbs. The barbs are nippy and will bring out aggression in the yellows.

Back
Top Bottom