Tiger barbs with angel fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrogFrenzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gallon tank with lots of caves and cover. I know tiger barbs are fin nippers and could nip at angels but if I have lots of plants and caves and a big school of barbs can I keep them together?

It depends on the barbs, I have a big school of them and if you have a nice school they usually aim their aggression towards each other. It's a risk though because you never know if they will be aggressive towards them.

I don't think it's a good idea. Even if they aren't nipping they'll probably harass the angel.

Ok thanks for the help! I probably won't get the angels then.

If you like the look of tiger barbs, I would consider adding black ruby barbs or five banded barbs.

I would second getting five banded barbs ( pentagonal barbs ). I have got Angelfish with a group of them and have no problems at all. I was advised Tiger Barbs would be too likely to nip and only calm if you get enough for them to spread their aggression between their own group!

I've kept fish like long skirted tetras with my tiger barbs and they were fine. Do you think angels would be ok too?

I don't think the angels will be okay with the tetras or the barbs. I've never had luck with either.

I've kept fish like long skirted tetras with my tiger barbs and they were fine. Do you think angels would be ok too?
If you have another tank at the ready for the angels in the event the barb tank doesn't work out, I don't see the harm in trying. It is a higher risk situation so if there isn't a good back up plan I wouldn't try it.

If you have another tank at the ready for the angels in the event the barb tank doesn't work out, I don't see the harm in trying. It is a higher risk situation so if there isn't a good back up plan I wouldn't try it.

I have an empty 20 gallon I can keep them in temporarily incase anything happens.

I have an empty 20 gallon I can keep them in temporarily incase anything happens.
I'm not sure how many you are thinking of getting or what size they would be, or what the plan would be for the fish after that, but yes you could house a couple of small angels in a 20 gal temporarily. Personally I wouldn't put barbs and angels on a stock list together unless you can provide a great home for the angels either way. Otherwise if they do end up going through some stress with the barbs, they will then only have more stress to come through being housed in a tank too small or transferred back to the store or what have you.

I also think the angels would be in trouble. Have you added the different color morphs if the tiger barbs? Petsmart now sells a platinum green (beautiful), green, and albino. I would stick with tigers and maybe cherry barbs to prevent problems. They are bullies. :(

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My tiger barbs are mean, I wouldn't put something with long fins in there with them. I recently added two kissing gouramis and a BN pleco. The gouramis (despite being twice their size) were being harassed by the barbs. That was the first day, now the barbs seem to leave them alone for the most part. There's a little chasing, but not nearly as bad as it was the first day. Now the shoal moves for a gourami, unlike when they were being harassed.

On a lighter note, the pleco hasn't been bothered, although he says hidden most of the time.

I love my barbs though. If my gouramis top out too big for my 55, I'll probably make it all barbs with the BN pleco for clean up.

My tiger barbs are mean, I wouldn't put something with long fins in there with them. I recently added two kissing gouramis and a BN pleco. The gouramis (despite being twice their size) were being harassed by the barbs. That was the first day, now the barbs seem to leave them alone for the most part. There's a little chasing, but not nearly as bad as it was the first day. Now the shoal moves for a gourami, unlike when they were being harassed.

On a lighter note, the pleco hasn't been bothered, although he says hidden most of the time.

I love my barbs though. If my gouramis top out too big for my 55, I'll probably make it all barbs with the BN pleco for clean up.

Ok thanks for the help! And my barbs are in a school of 7 and I was planning of getting that up to 10. I currently have a kissing gourami and pearl gourami and used to have long finned tetras. None of them were ever touched by the barbs but would and angel also be ok if the barbs didn't nip at the gouramis or long finned tetras?

Ok thanks for the help! And my barbs are in a school of 7 and I was planning of getting that up to 10. I currently have a kissing gourami and pearl gourami and used to have long finned tetras. None of them were ever touched by the barbs but would and angel also be ok if the barbs didn't nip at the gouramis or long finned tetras?

I can't comment on that, I was just adding what I've observed in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom