Tiny white dots on wood???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishychick

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any idea what these white specks on my driftwood are? They don't move, I've tried to scrub them off, not real successful. When I take the wood out of the tank, it's hard to see them.

20 gallon, running about 3 months, a few live plants, sand, ammonia 0-.15 (my tap water has a bit of ammonia) nitrites 0, nitrates 20, pwc 2xs a week, with Seachem Prime, and some ferts. 6 guppies, 7 panda corys Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fungus? It's not fuzzy. Snail eggs? It just doesn't look like the other snail eggs I have seen. I thought it was grains of sand, but I'm sure that's not it. Take the log out? But I love the log. Harmless? Algae?

I have never seen anything like this before. This doesn't mean that it's necessarily bad! I hope someone with a bit more knowledge on DW jumps in ;)

Sent per three-eyed raven..

I have never seen anything like this before. This doesn't mean that it's necessarily bad! I hope someone with a bit more knowledge on DW jumps in ;)

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Thanks, I appreciate the comment, you're the first one! Lol. Hopefully it looks familiar to someone out there in the fishy sphere.

Had something similar to that on new drift wood. Pretty sure it is harmless. Mine wiped off easily but came back. After few months disappeared completely.

Had something similar to that on new drift wood. Pretty sure it is harmless. Mine wiped off easily but came back. After few months disappeared completely.

Isn't it weird? I feel like it's so weird. I was able to get some of it off but because the wood is so....not smooth, it's difficult to really wipe. Like you said, the bit I was able to wipe off, came back. Wish I knew what was causing it. I'm trying to do more water changes just in case. Thanks for the reply.

Really don't think it is anything to worry about. Should go away. I was pretty confused about it at first

I believe it IS a type of fungus, there are some smoother types. It should go away on its own and shouldn't be a problem.. update us if anything happens.

Amano shrimp love fungus so you could definitely get some of those (of course that is only if you actually like them and care for them haha). They are great little shrimp.

I've had that before. My oto's seem to love that stuff. Mine started on the wood then a little appeared on the glass now my oto's don't leave that spot and eat all day. I use an algae brush to get rid of it if it gets too bad

Sent from peliper

I've had that before. My oto's seem to love that stuff. Mine started on the wood then a little appeared on the glass now my oto's don't leave that spot and eat all day. I use an algae brush to get rid of it if it gets too bad

Sent from peliper

But it doesn't seem to hurt or affect your other fish? I sort of feel like my guppies are showing early signs of fin rot and I don't want this stuff to be affecting the quality of my water. Or they may not have any fin rot and I may just be imagining things because my betta has fin rot really bad so now I am paranoid. I have an otto, but in a different tank.

Do you have netrite snails in your tank.? Mine lays eggs on the driftwood that look like that. Alison
There are definitely snails in there, but not on purpose. I always assumed they were mystery snails or pond snails or whatever kind of snails sneak into your tank by way of plants from the lfs. I just try to get rid of them when I see them. I have founds some eggs on the glass but they don't really look like the things on the log.

Back
Top Bottom