To Loach or not to Loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrspughster

Aquarium Advice Regular
Been thinking about getting a loach to control my snail problem. Have a 55g, trying to give my 2 plecos away, and have several small fish. When I do relocate the plecos I want to get a loach...just not sure which kind to get and how many. Any ideas???

I like both yoyo's and clown loaches. The yoyo's stay smaller while the clowns can grow to over a foot. Both like to be kept in school's, I'd certainly get no less than 3 of either. I have 4 yoyo's in a 29 gal and 6 clowns in a 125 gal.

I would say 4 yoyo's, or 6 Striped (Zebra) loaches. Or be like me, get a mess load of them, lol. Look at my signature. I really like my loaches. :)

I like my clown loaches... i have them singular, but they tend to "school" with my cory's. I really cant support many of them, but they devoured my snails. Once the one in my 15 gallon grows, i'll be putting him in my 44 gallon.

Love em to death. Very comedic. Probably why they call them clowns :p

i love my clowns too!!!! we had ours together till one decided to have "relations" with the filter. so we put him in my 30 because my filter is different on the bottom. he has schooled with my other fish. we are planning on getting two more though..

had to seperate these two anyway they got into too much trouble together. :)

Also got to look at tank size. Yes, they do grow slow, but they WILL get big. So if you aren't planning on a bigger tank, then either go with another loach, or find other plans for the clowns when they start getting too big. But that would be a few years down the road.

Well looks like I will try the clown loach, I like the colors. Haven't heard of the kubotais. Just have a problem as to where to purchase my fish at. Have a petco,(but hate them) and a newer Petsmart. My favorite place closed down a few months after I gave them my 4 huge bala sharks. I would go and visit every so often. Miss them now. Thanks for all the help. I would love to add to my tank, but hubby says we dont have them room.

Back
Top Bottom