Too aggressive tiger barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Humm2k

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My male tiger barb is chasing and nipping at the smaller barb I have, I was told when I got it it was a female if that means anything. Most of the day (s)he spends hidden by the filter and in a weird angle. Head down, tail up. I plan on going to pick up 4 more tiger barbs to add to the 2 I have on tuesday in between class.

Does anyone know if I could put the aggressive fish in a different bowl if he still is aggressive after adding the other barbs? If I can, what size bowl?

I don't have the time to return him to the pet store I got him from. When I go to my new pet store I may ask the owner what to do with it, maybe he'll take it off my hands.

I never knew how much work and how wonderful having a fish tank can be.

Welcome to aquarium advice!

First, how big is your tank, tiger barbs should be in a minimum of 20gallons because they like the swimming room. I've noticed that my tiger barbs sleep with their heads down and tails up, sort of staying in one spot. As long as he is not like that all the time, theres nothing to worry about. Its normal behavior for the barbs to chase each other around. But if there is any signs of physical damage you might wat to seperate them.

I'm guessing your tank is new, so you might want to read up on the nitrogen cycle, there is an article in the articles section. So you might want to hold off adding more fish for a while. And get a test kit if you dont already.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it's a 30 gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom