Too bright of lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobbFErwin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just picked up two ultra bright Fluval LED strips, I thought this was my best option because I figured two lights is better than one, that's how I have seen multiple tanks setup at the fish store.

Granted I haven't put water in the tank, or any decor, I just set them up on the top of the tank to see how it would look, and it seems really bright, almost too bright, but I'm not a good judge of what "too bright" would be.

Each strip is 9w, 40 LEDs, 740 lumens, 7500k

The tank is 18x18x18.

Any input or opinions?

:thanks:

Edit: I can upload pics, if that would help, let me know

It really depends on what you plan to have in the tank. Various plants require different levels of light.

As far as fish are concerned...none of my fish like bright lights but most are nocturnal like cories, bristlenose plecos, dojo loaches and raphael catfish. I keep my light on for about 6 hrs. because of my plants, then I shut it off and just have a lamp nearby for the rest of the day.

I have never kept many fish that are active in the day, so that I do not know about.

I plan on putting in

Neon tetras
A few guppys
A couple dwarf gourami
A couple rams
A bamboo shrimp
A kuhli loach
And some type of algae eater

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This might help - there's a link in this forum post A Light Calculation Chart

To a spreadsheet that calculates how much light you have in a tank based on the size of the tank, the kind of light etc

One consequence of having too much light is that your may grow a lot of algae, unless you know how to avoid that, which usually involves doing a full-on planted tank with CO2 injection.

Back
Top Bottom