Too much tap water conditioner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t27countryboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is there such a thing as adding to much conditioner.I have a 55 fresh and when I do water changes I think to myself that there is no way that, that little tiny bit of conditioner is gonna treat that water.I guess my question is:IS adding double the amount of conditioner in my tap water ok.?

Depends on the conditioner, but usually a double dose isn't a big deal. What brand are you using? Prime, Amquel...these are fine to double dose. If its something like Stress Coat, I wouldn't double dose, and I'd also stop using it when the bottle runs empty, and switch to Prime.

It probably wont hurt anything, but you may notice a film on top of your water, or if you have any splashing from your filter, you may get some foaming.

I wouldn't use a double dose, seems like a waste of money to me. I can understand you might be worried about your fish but the instructions are there for a reason. Maybe if you MUST try a 150% dosage, not 200%. That way you'll be putting in more then what is needed in terms of conditioner and can avoid wasting so much as well as potential foaming etc.

Joe

Remember that the stuff that the conditioner is removing is measured in parts per million so there isn't a lot of it in there. What is your main purpose in adding the conditioner?

Also if you are overly concerned with chlorine, you can age your water. The chlorine will evaporate.

conditioner

I use prime for conditioner.It is the ammonia that I am worried about.My tap water is showing a decent amount of ammonia.1 to 1.5 ppm.That is alot for straight tap water.I use two seperate test kits to get these results.My tank is not cycled yet!The amount of ammonia in my tank is scary.I have been posting around the forum with my problems.The local petco told me when i purchased the tank kit that all I had to do was condition the water and put cycle in it and let it run for two days and I could put fish in.I did not know the difference then!!!I had a 29 gallon uncycled tank with four baby oscars in it with two small plecos.As the fish grew over two months I purchased a used 55gallon cheap and put them all In that one after I cleaned and let it sit for the two days.To make a long story short I found this website and started reading about this stuff.Since I started reading here about fish and how to keep care of them I have been franticly trying to get my tank cycled.I gave away two of my four oscars to a local petstore[not petco]and bought two emperor400's and a good heater.I cleaned my entire tank with gravel vac and replaced all the media in my emperors and filled the extra media baskets with ammo-chips.I put some salt in and some melafix to my water.I realize that my tank is to small for two adult oscars and two plecos but that is all I have for now.I put melafix and salt in because my fish showed signs of color fading and sometimes there skin gets banged up.I did this three days ago and now I was told to do 20% water changes everyday untill I can get the ammonia under control.My readings are :::2.5ppm ammonia 0 nitrates o.5 nitrites and 6.6 PH

Back
Top Bottom