Too risky?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Colwell

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I recently purchased a coffee table/stand its very sturdy I believe the previous owner used it as a stand before. It was only $35. The told me it measured 5'x18"x21" (LxWxH). It really measures 58"x16"x21". I was planning on putting a tank that's 48" long and 18" wide but now I'm u sure if I should. It would only hang 3/4 of an inch off each side but I would like to get a piece of wood cut to 18" wide to put under the tank to help support it. Is this a good idea? I was thinking about a 80 X-High 48 7/8 x 14 x 30 3/4 but they are hard to come by. What would I do or should I just settle for a 55 :( ?

So I recently purchased a coffee table/stand its very sturdy I believe the previous owner used it as a stand before. It was only $35. The told me it measured 5'x18"x21" (LxWxH). It really measures 58"x16"x21". I was planning on putting a tank that's 48" long and 18" wide but now I'm u sure if I should. It would only hang 3/4 of an inch off each side but I would like to get a piece of wood cut to 18" wide to put under the tank to help support it. Is this a good idea? I was thinking about a 80 X-High 48 7/8 x 14 x 30 3/4 but they are hard to come by. What would I do or should I just settle for a 55 :( ?

I forgot to attach the photos.

Attachments

• image-3921167508.jpg
    image-3921167508.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 84
  • image-3745252002.jpg
    image-3745252002.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 86
It looks like a well-built table, but if it's not made to hold the weight of a 55-gallon, I would scratch the idea. That would keep me up at night.

David

Just stand on the table with a couple friends. The weight of a 55g is roughly equivalent to 2 to 3 average Americans. If it seems stable and doesn't creak or wobble then it should be fine to use. I've seen people support a 55 with 3 cheap dinning table chairs before

That makes sense, zimm; the problem is, it doesn't take into account the long term effect of the weight in question.

Colwell, if you're going to use it cut four 2X4s and place them on each corner from the inside. Secure the 2X4 with screws to make sure they stay in place. Ninety degree brackets will help strengthen the stand horizontally.

What kind of wood is it and how thick is it?

David

Back
Top Bottom