Treat Time! Questions about veggies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erik7

Aquarium Advice Activist
Howdy all. Time for my fishies to get some treats. I do have a few questions.

My vegi clip broke, so is there any way to feed my fish the vegies i got without one, as I cant get down to petco to get another for several days.

I did see the article on here, and its great. Except a few clarifications, please.

I have carrots, Broccoli, and zucchini. They're all packaged, except for the zucchini. In the article it mentioned to peel the carrots and serve raw. Raw as in right out of the refridgerator? I've heard some people boil them to get them soft.

Now with the broccoli, just will just tearing the bult of it off the stalk and drop that in?

Sorry to be a PITA, but I want to do this right ;)

Thanks

erik7 said:
Howdy all. Time for my fishies to get some treats. I do have a few questions.

My vegi clip broke, so is there any way to feed my fish the vegies i got without one, as I cant get down to petco to get another for several days.

Sure...lash them to something (like a rock or wood) with an elastic or some fishing line.

In the article it mentioned to peel the carrots and serve raw. Raw as in right out of the refridgerator?

Yes, but always wash/tinse them under cool water first.

I've heard some people boil them to get them soft.

You can, but it does lower their nutritional content some...blanching or a quick, light steaming is better.....and never in the microwave.

Now with the broccoli, just will just tearing the bult of it off the stalk and drop that in?

Sure.....just remove any leftovers after about 24-36 hours, as decomposing broccoli will make your tank smell like a gym locker.

Toirtis....why never in the microwave??? I keep a bag of frozen peas in the freezer for my fish and I defrost them in the microwave for about 25 seconds. Then I shell them and toss them in the tank. Is that bad?

There have been a couple of studies done that suggest that cooking vegetables in a microwave, even for a short period, destroys much of their nutritive value.

Ok. I put in some zucchini before i went to bed, and this morning, it all was still there.

Does he not like it, should i try it again, or just try a new veggie?

Back
Top Bottom