Turtle and Fish question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

egpease

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a cute little RBS (red belly slider) turtle aka Mr. Lovey Man. We just upgraded his tank to a 75 gallon with two pumps. I was wondering if anyone had advice on some fish that would be compatible with him. I know that he will eat feeder fish, guppies, and tetras. More info on the turtle is that he is aquatic, fresh water. He loves his pellets (won't even eat the freeze dried brine shrimp anymore), but he is classified as omnivorous. Does anyone here have any good suggestions? My beautiful 75 gallon tank looks empty....just some plastic plants (because he will eat the real ones) and my 5 inch turtle LOL...thanks in advance!

Never heard of a red belly slider, but have heard of yellow belly sliders and red ear sliders. I have 2 red ear sliders and have not ever tried fish in their tank but considering how slow the turtles are and how blind they are, I would imagine a larger fish like a goldfish would be okay. Don't be surprised if it got a chunk taken out of it though.

I've tried feeder fish before and the turtles ate a few then could never catch the others! haha.

Welcome to AA. :)

haha, I wouldn't put anything with a RES. Mine eats anything it gets its claws on. I tried putting a couple full grown mbunas in his tank once just to get some color in there (my mbuna tank was getting overcrowded, and the LFS had no room for them) Well, let's just say the next day I only had one left, and I put him back in his original tank.

I'm thinking of throwing in some small fast....and very cheap fish though. I'm thinking feeder guppies

if its okay can i ask a question...
my red eared slider has a bunch of almost algea looking stuff on his skin, is it normal, or how can i get rid of it?

Do you have a place where he can haul out and sun himself? Only a few turtles can stand living in water for long periods of time.

You could try medium to large fish like Tin Foil Barbs, Cichlids, or catfish. Pretty much any fish too large
to eat as long as you keep him fed.

Not too many fish as the turtle is heavy on your bio load.

up until last year he had been living in water for like 5 years but now we have a little platform so he can get kind of out, ill look into getting something to lift him completely out.

They need to be out of the water enough to completely dry off, meaning you need a dry platform and a basking lamp for them. If it looks like algae growing on him that might be what it is, especially if that part of him has been under water for so long.

I used to use a floating platform that sticks to the glass for my turtles. They got onto it really easy but now they are too big to fit so I got my ex to build me a ramp out of fake wood stuff and they love it.

There are quite a few turtleheads on this site,, cool I am getting a turtle this week. A russian tortoise I believe. And I am building a custom home for him in a few months for now the 110L tote will do.

Back
Top Bottom