ugh! (disgruntling trip to LFS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeymourFRESH

Aquarium Advice Freak
well, a LFS around here that i'm rather impartial to finally had all their tanks looking GREAT (usually whenever i go there all the fish look sick) and they had a bunch of 2" clown loaches. i decided i was going to get some because i need some for my injest upon the infestation of snails in my 55 gallon

well i went in there and looked at the loaches for a good few minutes, they were obviously very healthy. so i go get the girl working in that section to get me 3 loaches out. she comes over, gets the net, and starts thrashing the net around inside the tank and literally chasing every fish in the tank back and forth, completely tearing the tank appart in the process. (if you can imagine what about 10 clown loaches and 4 plecos look like all swimming in one massive school, evading the thrashing net, it was horrifying!)

so she finally gets 3 clown loaches into the net and puts them into the little box. she proceeded attempt putting them in the bag, but she got 2 in the bag and dropped the bag on the floor right afterwards. by the time this happened, i was just getting so mad i said "you know what? nevermind...i'm out of here" then i stormed out

the worst part about it is i've never seen this girl working there before, so i think she's new. a buddy of mine recently applied at this store for a position and he has great knowledge of fish keeping and i know for a FACT he would do a great job if he worked there (not to mention he needs a job)! but, it looks like this chick got the job instead...i'm gonna call up there and let the manager know about it in a few minutes...

just a shame people are so stupid

That sucks!

Not to get sidetracked, as this is different than what you're talking about, but I just wanted to comment that I am often somewhat horrified at how LFS employees tear through tanks. At the local LFS, one guy in particular will just grab plants, rocks, wood etc. and throw it around when trying to get an evasive fish, apparently just assuming the other fish will move and not get squished. Makes me cringe everytime. The whole tank will look like a tornado whipped through it afterwards.
The thing is, he's probably the most knowledgable/experienced guy there; I figure he must just be so used to catching fish that he's very insensitive and down-to-business about it. That, and I think they figure the less time you spend chasing them around, the less stress you will cause to the tank.

Yikes Seymour. Weekend help can sometimes stink. I'm wondering which store it is. Even the "managers" at the chains during the week can have more knowledge than that.

pet market place. i haven't bought fish there for awhile, but when i went in last week all of their fish looked great for the most part. so i decided i'd get some fish from there, but that chick screwed it up for me completely. :x

Well I'm glad you said something. Once I get the 55 going, I'm going to maybe go to Beldt's and Tropical World Pets (I think that's it). Beldt's is closer to the airport, quite a drive for me, but the web site makes it seem possibly worth the drive.

well i've been to beldt's and it is alright...not really the greatest fish store but definetely not the worst one. if your from the south county/city like i am i'd almost say it's not worth the drive.

but, still, i'm telling you man, check out aqua world! they are by far the best maintained fish store in STL that i've come accross. they're independently owned and the people that work there are always honest and reliable

they are a little bit pricy, but you literally get what you pay for

I will. Chippewa and Gravois. I remember. I lived in Affton when I was a kid. Maybe I'll go there first. I want a couple of black ruby barbs and I know that Tropical World Pets always has them in stock, but going to a new place is always fun.

well it's not exactly chippewa and gravois, it's a little less than a block past chippewa going north on gravois. it'll be on your right-hand side and it's before you get to that big shopping plaza. it looks like a crappy hole-in-the-wall place from the outside, but once you go in it is awesome!

good luck! i had a little trouble finding it when i first went but you'll probably find it

Why am I picturing an old bowling alley, McDonald's and the bridge to that "river". I forget the name of it. I guess it is past that windmill.

Back
Top Bottom