Ultra clear tank VS traditional tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sexyrock

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I have noticed that people in America mostly use traditional aquarium tanks that come with build-in light systems and filtration. However in Japan ultra clear aquariums tanks are very popular and commonly seen in people's houses. Those super clear low iron tanks are beautiful and highly transparent.
My question is why there is no market for this kinda aquarium tanks in America? Would you guys be interested in it if it becomes available in the aquarium stores in your cities? Thank you for sharing your thoughts.:cool: Here are some pictures:

Attachments

• T2k9I.XyXaXXXXXXXX_!!1067174064.jpg
    T2k9I.XyXaXXXXXXXX_!!1067174064.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 150
  • 31JnU9xc6BL.jpg
    31JnU9xc6BL.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 149
Exactly, I love glass tanks and I really love low iron glass tanks. However, they are very expensive. That is what holds them back. America is struggling financially and most of us a feeling it.

Exactly, I love glass tanks and I really love low iron glass tanks. However, they are very expensive. That is what holds them back. America is struggling financially and most of us a feeling it.

Would you consider $50 too expensive for a 10 gal low iron? What's the ideal price range for the low iron for most people? Thank you for sharing.

No, I think that is a fantastic price. The ones I am used to have a false back and cost 400$ or more.

The tanks with built in light systems and filtration are actually a rarity. Most of us use standard glass aquariums. Mostly because of cost, but also because of availability.

$50 for just the tank would be too much for many people, especially because they either dont really see the difference or care about the difference. We can get a decent 10g tank for $10 most of the time.

Wouldn't the size of them be limited to smaller tanks since there is no rim. What holds it together? Just the silicone. Not sure how I would feel about that.

Wouldn't the size of them be limited to smaller tanks since there is no rim. What holds it together? Just the silicone. Not sure how I would feel about that.
Rimless tanks are fine. They use thicker glass and stronger silicone to withstand the weight of the water. But yes, they are generally limited to smaller tanks.

Would you consider $50 too expensive for a 10 gal low iron? What's the ideal price range for the low iron for most people? Thank you for sharing.

Yes I would. I might pay double (so like $30) for a rimless 10g but no more. I can settle for a rimmed tank if it saves money in my pocket. This hobby is so expensive for me to be spending that much on a tank just because it has no rim.

Caleb

Here is a pic of mine. That I broke the bottom out of.

60074-albums14227-picture68012.jpg

60074-albums14227-picture68019.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I would. I might pay double (so like $30) for a rimless 10g but no more. I can settle for a rimmed tank if it saves money in my pocket. This hobby is so expensive for me to be spending that much on a tank just because it has no rim.

Caleb

Your not going to get much.. keep in mind a standard 10 new is close to 30 (excluding sale). Mr. Aqua is about as cheap as they get.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your not going to get much.. keep in mind a standard 10 new is close to 30 (excluding sale). Mr. Aqua is about as cheap as they get.

Not here. I can get a standard 10g for 15$ not on sale. Done it twice.

That's at one of the P's

Caleb

I get a lot of my tanks used so I'm used to even cheaper prices. For me, I'd rather spend 50 bucks on a bigger tank than on one little tank that wouldn't hold much, especially if I'm buying new. Sadly quantity over quality at this point, or I'd have a hard time staying in the hobby.

Petsmart has the 1$ per gallon sale going. 10 gallon $10. 20long for 20 and a 40 breeder for $40.

Where are you buying 10 gallons at? I can go to wal mart an buy a standard 10g for 9$ through 12$.
Unless your talking about the rimless

Once you go low iron rimless it's tough to go back. A few years ago cost was an issue but now that I have a regular job I can now allot more money to this fun little hobby, including nicer equipment/tanks. It really depends on where you are in your life (and where you are in the hobby).

Overall there is a decent sized market (within the aquarium hobby) with those with high tech planted tanks thanks to companies like ADA, GLA, Mr. Aqua, TruAqua, Finnex, etc.

Once you go low iron rimless it's tough to go back. A few years ago cost was an issue but now that I have a regular job I can now allot more money to this fun little hobby, including nicer equipment/tanks. It really depends on where you are in your life (and where you are in the hobby).

Overall there is a decent sized market (within the aquarium hobby) with those with high tech planted tanks thanks to companies like ADA, GLA, Mr. Aqua, TruAqua, Finnex, etc.

That's a very good point. Many of us simply don't have the extra money to play around with. When I get out of college and a stable job then I'll consider it :)

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom