Um.. Why do fish slam themselves into the top of a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishygurl

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my zebra danios did this, so i was glad the lid was on, and hoped he wouldnt do it again. Obviously he was trying to get out or somthing, but youd think that hed stop after 1 time or mabye 2. But NOOOO time number 6 this morning. Pretty weird for a fish that is sometimes smarter than my cat. Although my cat is stupid but still.

My Silver Dollars do this all the time. I even have to wake up in the middle of the night with my flashlight and check to make sure they are ok. Who knows? :)

My bichir does it and sometimes if some of the other fish get really spooked by noise, they'll do it too.

One of my australian rainbows does it, I spent a long time trying to figure out what the thunking noise was, then I realized that the fish was picking off fish food that got stuck to the underside of the canopy (my fish get a little excited at dinner time). She's the only one who has figured out how to do this. Smart fish!

Well IME Oscars and saratogas like to jump for flies and cocroaches. I'll often hear a crash in the middle of the night from my silver sharks if they get startled.... Mostly its from trying to get away from other fish IME.

My male Jack dempsey does this, but there isn't anything stuck on the bottom of my lid. Toady he hit it hard enough to lift it about 2" scared the crap out of my kids who where watching them :lol: .

Back
Top Bottom