Undergravel filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hockeydude1510

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just recently purchased a top fin undergravel filter for my 38 gal aquarium. But i have noticed a lot of views about the ug filter. Many people have said the ug filter is the wrong way to go and can be very un reliable. But I refused to listen and bought it any way. I am very concerned whether my take will stay cleaned. And how long will it take for the bacteria that breaks down wastes to form

also I was wondering if i could have a penguin bio-wheel filter running in the same tank as the ug filter

please help!!

You can run as many filters as you want. The more filtration the better, means you can have a higher bio load. The main problem with the UGF is that you can't have live plants with it. Otherwise they do work, but feel free to add the penguin as well. That will be great.

another thing about UGF is a problem with longevity ... they build up a "stockpile" of 'nuclear' waste underneath the filter grid ... eventually, after many many months of this stockpiling, any distruption of the grid will send a cloud of highly toxic waste into your water.

Only ways I've found to combat this is

don't distrupt the grid ;)

vacuum under the grid by running a siphon tube down each lift tube

run the filter with reverse flow, so water is forced under the grid and up through the gravel, this will keep the waste suspended in the water column, for your pengiun to filter out.

Why cant you have live plants?

It will eventually clog and there is not enough poo settling around the roots for the plants to have time to absorb it. Poor plant growth...

Oh yeah, the Penguins are great, but for the 38 gal tank, I'd personally get the Emperor 280. It's just the larger version of the penguin.

I agree with the Emperor 280...far better filter than the Penguin...and the Penguin is pretty good. I also agree about running the UGF reverse. You'll have less potential for trouble that way.

Back
Top Bottom